No suitable driver found for jdbc:jdbcprogress:T (set class path)

mindus

Hi
i am new to this progress database. I am developing the application which is used to get the data from progress database. My progress database is in remote system. When i execute my application i am getting following error.

: unable to get connection java.sql.SQLException No suitable driver found for jdbc:jdbcprogress:T:netpcsystem:3501:testdata.

I googled it and come to know to set the class path in the system.

Can any one of you guys please tell me in which system i need to define the class paths. My progress database is in remote system and i am developing application in my system. So i need to access the data from remote progress database. So i have to set classpath in remote database system or in my system?

Thanks
mindus

RealHeavyDude

You need to add the following external JARs to your Java project:

%DLC%\java\util.jar
%DLC%\java\base.jar
%DLC%\java\pool.jar
%DLC%\java\spy.jar

Where %DLC% is your OpenEdge installation directory. The drivers need to be available on the same machine where the Java client runs.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

doubtswith4GL

Hi,

I also want to connect to a remote progress database within my local network (for now). Precisely I want to use Eclipse-Birt to make reports, but I'm having trouble connecting with the databse using:

i) the jars included in Progress (jdbc:jdbcProgress),
ii) with an external JDBC-91D driver installed from (OpenLink) and,
iii) with an Openlink JDBC-ODBC bridge and ODBC-91DJDBC Driver.

As I had many problems, so far. And after browsing this forum extensively, I would like to have a confirmation to the following question:

Do I need to have a local installation of Progress 91D in order to connect to a remote Progress database in the server? If this is true, which is the client required to perform this action? Where does this client could be obtained?

Escenario:
Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterpise. Progress Database 9.1D. Services activaded to listen in a port (tested the connection within the server with prowin32)

Client: Windows 7 Pro. Eclipse-Birt Helios

Thanks in advance

DoubtswithProgress91D

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
9.1D is a bad start. The difference between SQL performance, stability, features, etc., etc., from 9.1D to 11.0 is staggering.

Prior to 10.0, the SQL client was a *product*, i.e., something that one had to pay money for. It was the same price as Client Networking and the drivers were included with Client Networking, so if you have one of those licenses laying around, that might be the way to go. From 10.0 on, the SQL client is a free download, although one does have to go through some hand waving with the sales rep to make it available.

Good luck with something very modern at one end of the pipe and something very ancient at the other end.

doubtswith4GL

Thanks for the good wishes. The choice of the database it wasn't mine (as normally happens). Aware that the new version is far better.

Due to my lack of experience in the Progress DB my next question would be around the Client Networking (which program it is?)
This programs then needs to be obligatory installed in the "client", together with the %DLC%\java\*.jar files to connect to the database or an OpenLink driver.

At production, client and server will be the same machine and the current escenario only arises in order to test and develop, therefore we go a step further.

Thanks for the advices

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Client Networking is the product one installs in a client system in order to make a Progress to Progress connection to a database on another machine. If the site is using telnet clients to connect, then they won't use it. If the site has Windows clients, then they are using it. Installing the SQL client is an install time option when installing Client Networking. You need nothing from the database host, *especially* if it is on a different platform. SQL Client is also a separately purchasable product in version 9, although the only thing you are likely to get is 9.1E.