Newbie with OLD Progress

KeithGrayAUS

Greetings All,

I have inherited a SCO Unix Progress (Character Based) application.
Could anyone get me started on how to develop for this environment.
It is running Progress 5.0I and I know how to edit (vi)... how do I
veiw the database, tables, indexes... and how do I make ".r" files.

Is there a tutorial for OLD systems like this?

Keith

First - you need to be able to get into the progress editor.

next - in your start script (to get into the editor) you need to declare an enviornment variable called PROPATH and set it to the directories where the source code is.

in your editor you type
compile <program-name> save.

5.0I. wow. I never worked with that particular one. it is REALLY old. I started on 4.3G about 15 years ago so.... Call it 12 years for round numbers!

I started development with version 5 and there are a few things that I remember, but it's been a long time and so please excuse me if i get some of this wrong.

This is in the days before event driven programming. So the 4GL is entirely procedural and comes with its own integrated editor (this is not an editor widget - such a thing didn't exist at that time).

To start the editor, just start progress without a start-up procedure and you'll get the editor automatically.

The editor displays around 21 lines as I recall. There is a horizontal line drawn under line 21. Lines 22 and 24 are reserved for the message lines. Line 24 is the status line. If you have a 25 line monitor, then you get one extra line for editing 22 instead of 21!

Use the following Function keys to operate the editor:

F1 - GO (Run)
F2 - Help
F3 - Toggle Insert Mode
F4 - End Key
F5 - Load File
F6 - Save File

Other keys should work as normal (cursor keys, page up, page down, home, end etc.) but ONLY if your PROTERMCAP and TERM environment variables are set correctly.

As you're running on UNIX you'll need to ensure that your TERM environment variable is set correctly. If you're using the monitor that comes with the machine, then try "cansi" or just "ansi". Progress will use the PROTERMCAP file to map keystrokes from the terminal. Whatever you set you TERM variable to must exist as an entry in the PROPTERMCAP file.

To start progress, make sure that the DLC directory is in your path. You'll probably need to set the following environment variables:

DLC
PROTERMCAP
PROPATH
PROMSGS
PATH

To start a progress session, just type "pro" at the command line.

To get into the Dictionary, just "run dict.r" from within the editor and press F1 (GO).

At version 5, you can connect only one database at a time. Multiple DB connections didn't arrive until V6.

There are probably a zillion copies of the V5 4GL Language Reference and V5 Programming Handbook collecting dust in long forgotten filing cabinets. Try asking on the PEG to see if anyone will send them to you.