Newbie needs some real basic information

GPSevison

Hi all.

This place appears to be a fantastic resource for Progress Developers. I look forward to taking advantage of it often in my future.

My question is this.

I have just been assigned the task to begin developing apps. for our QAD ERP system, which is only in its infancy at our company.

I need to know exactly what software development tools I need to purchase and install on my laptop in order to begin developing Progress 4GL applications.

I know I'm asking a pretty generalized question, but any help you can provide will go a long way in getting me off in the right direction.

Thanks for all of your help. :)

bendaluz2

You need a "provision" licence to develop applications on one machine with local databases. If you want to host the databases on a server(which you almost certainly will need to in a production environment), you will also need an "enterprise db" licence. You will also need "client networking" licences for each user (non development) machine. There are also various other licences such as webspeed, appserver that you may need depending on the application architecture you decide on.

HTH