*NEWBIE* Just saying "Hello World"

Charter

Hi guys,

I've just completed my Progress Webased Training in OpenEdge.

I'm 24 and started a new job as a suport developer...
I'm hoping this forum will be a great source of help.

Thanks for reading :)

Charter

Hi

Thanks for your message!

At university I predominantly focused on Java, SQL and VB.net, Progress really wasn’t on the cards...
However, my new employer offered a reasonable training package, so I took up the offer so increase my skill set...
I hope progress talk is newbie friendly :)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Yeah definitely newbie friendly. Hope we can help you when you get stuck. Good on you for going down the Progress route. I followed a similar path it seems. I very much enjoy it. It's just surprising to find people going this route really :)

Charter

wow - you guys seem cool - thanks for the messages...

so if I get stuck on some code do I ask on here? for example on Monday I wasn't too sure on how one would go about uploading data from an XL spreadsheet...However a colleague kindly informed me

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
On the theory that one can use all the help one can get, there are a couple of other resources you should explore too. Peg.com, the Progress E-mail group is an e-mail based group with a pretty large and active audience. The forum at communities.progress.com known as PSDN is PSC's own forum which has some participation from PSC staff and gets some pretty high level discussions along with the usual support. OEHive.org is a great resource for code and whitepapers, both useful in their own right and often good coding examples for difficult problems.

Charter

Error 91 has been driving me ccraazzzyy all afternoon.... **No srnames record is available. (91)
can you spot my error??? :confused:
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purpose: Checks the values of tt-lognumber, sets cErrorMsg if there's a problem
and returns true if OK, and false if errors found

Parameters: IN-OUT table tt-lognumber
OUT pl-OK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
DEFINE INPUT-OUTPUT PARAMETER TABLE FOR tt-lognumber.
DEFINE OUTPUT PARAMETER pl-ok AS LOGICAL NO-UNDO.

FOR EACH tt-lognumber NO-LOCK:
DISPLAY tt-lognumber.kaccount tt-lognumber.knote.
END.
/* find db records to check everything exists */
FOR EACH tt-lognumber NO-LOCK:
/* opworder */
FIND opworder WHERE opworder.kco = 1
AND opworder.kdoctype = "w"
AND opworder.knote = tt-lognumber.knote
NO-LOCK NO-ERROR.
IF AVAIL opworder THEN
pl-ok = YES.
ELSE tt-lognumber.cErrorMsg = "Order Not Found".

/* SrName */
FIND SrName WHERE srName.kdaccount = tt-lognumber.kAccount
NO-LOCK NO-ERROR.
IF AVAIL SrName THEN
pl-ok = YES.
ELSE tt-lognumber.cErrorMsg = "Account Not Found".
/*opgohead */

FIND opgohead WHERE opgohead.kco = opworder.kco
AND opgohead.kdoctype = opworder.kdoctype
AND opgohead.knote = opworder.knote
NO-LOCK NO-ERROR.

IF AVAIL opgohead THEN
pl-ok = YES.
ELSE tt-lognumber.cErrorMsg = "opgohead Not Found"
END.
END PROCEDURE.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I would start by fixing the structure of your function. You have three sequential tests and no connection between them even though they set the same two values. You could write an error message in the first, overwrite it in the second and then mark the OK flag true in the third. You need some structure in there so that you will get meaningful results. Also, enclose the logic for each table in a DO FOR TABLE ... END. block to limit scope. Do both and your problem will probably become apparent. If not immediate, then use COMPILE LISTING to look at buffer and transaction scopes.

jmac13

yeah you should this forum good.. one of the things i find annoying about progress is the lack of info out there.. so hopeful you'll get what you need from here

Charter

Hi JmAC13!

Yeah I was annoyed to realise that there is very little progress support on the net - however a colleague of mine recomended this site...So far thing look promising on here however I wish the response time was sooner rather than later :)

How long have you been working with progress for?

jmac13

yeah its a right pain compared to something like vb.net.. there is hardly anything on the net/books about progress..

and the answers on here depend if anyone knows/ what you asking...also if u are using a modern version of progress you are using.

I've been doing progress for about 4 years now..some bits are good but theres is a lot I find very annoying I personally prefer vb.net/C # but as I’m currently working in the language I have to get on with it