New to Progress Db

opowell

Dear Forum,

I find my self traveling down a new path, and of course this new path is full of dips and potholes call progress database issues. Since I have never seen ot used the progress database. Can some one suggest a starting place, like a book, software down load for local computer. HELP

Drowing in new database software

jongpau

Hi opowell,

Go to http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-15972

All Progress (or OpenEdge as it is called nowadays) documentation is available there - for the current version. Find the section on Data Management and you should have everything you want at your fingertips.

By the way, you can download the entire documentation set in PDF as well - always handy to have :)

Paul

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
And, of course, there are forums like this, PSDN, and PEG ... one of the big pluses about the forums is that people can respond on the specific topic you are trying to understand at the moment. Do your homework in the manuals first, of course, but if it seems not to be clear, then ask questions.

You might also consider training or mentoring. There are various courses given. I can't comment on how good any of them are, but one of the problems with any course is that while you are systematically exposed to the whole set of material, most of that material often isn't immediately applicable and so it is easy to forget. The advantage of developing a mentoring relationship with someone like White Star is that you get expert help on specific problems as they come up, but in the process you get on the job training in relevant topics, which you are more likely to retain.