Need replacement for OCX to display image in PROGRESS 64-bit

LBaliao

Hello.

We are migrating our software to use PROGRESS 12+, fully 64-bit. We're currently using an Imageman OCX to display an image. This third-party software is 32-bit and will not work in 64-bit environment. Does anyone know or have recommendation for a good replacement?

Thanks,
Liza

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
What is the core functionality that Imageman OCX provides you with that you would want to retain?

LBaliao

We use the OCX to display images from stacked TIF files as well as PNGs and BMPs. In addition, our current software can zoom, rotate and do a "save as" to any image currently displayed.

Cecil

It's tricky to find a 64bit version of a control you are looking for without all the bells and whistles. Most of the image controls are C# .NET WinForm objects.
Are you open to the idea of using the ABL .NET Form.

I've looked at the possibility of using a PictureBox class object and some .NET functionality of rolling your own TIFF paging , zoom, rotating etc.

This might help:

Last edited:

Cecil

I've just done a quick proof of concept where I can view a TIFF image and scroll through each page.
It can handle other image types.

1697008474515.png

Todo:
  • Add a Zoom in-out feature.
  • Rotate image
  • Save the image to a file.

LBaliao

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I am now trying it to see if it meets our requirements. Appreciate you and your effort.

Liza

Cecil

If anyone is interested in this code, I have published it to GitHub.
ABL-Image-Viewer/ABLImageViewer at main · Jimbobnz/ABL-Image-Viewer

Alot of the hard work was done using Chat GPT and the converting the C# syntax into ABL.NET.
It's been fun just to get some sort of crude Image viewer working. It's not a polished product but hopefully it's something you can expand on.

Zoom feature - Ctrl+ mouse wheel. Plus, image moving using the mouse.
1697359100832.png

Image Rotation - nothing fancy, just 90deg rotation
1697359265047.png