Need Help

autoent

I am completely new to Progress. Can anyone tell me what this means? This is a copy of our .pf file? We are having serious issues with slow database performance. Need some direction. Thank you!

-db R4SYS
-H pdk-ts1
-S 23330
#-db ERP
#-ld R4
#-H pdk-ts1
#-N TCP
#-S 23331
#-db r4_wms
#-ld r4_wms
#-H pdk-ts1
#-N TCP
#-S 23332

-inp 10240
-T R:\royal4-6.6\Temp
-nb 255
-mmax 20000
-D 250
-l 650
-s 128
-Bt 10000
-debugalert
-lng ENGLISH
-rereadnolock

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
First thing I would do is to get rid of all those commented out lines ... I'm not even sure that works for a .pf file, but it sure makes it hard to tell what is going on.

Second, I'm going to guess that this is the .pf file for the client session, but your question is about database performance, so we probably need to see the .pf for the server.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) You might want to post in the "Database Admin" forum. You might get better responses.

2) As Thomas suggests that is a client parameter file. It might have some relevance but the bigger fish to fry, at least initially, are on the server. The server configuration -- CPU, disks, RAM, OS, Progress version, startup parameters, db block size, storage area config etc. are crucial. So is a more specific description of the problem. What is slow? How slow is it? Do you have database performance metrics from a relevant time period (PROMON is the default source of such things).

3) Have you been to a training class? Read the manuals?

4) You might want to consider getting a consultant to come in and look at your system and bring you up to speed. I know where to find a few of those ;)

autoent

4) You might want to consider getting a consultant to come in and look at your system and bring you up to speed. I know where to find a few of those ;)

I would be VERY interested in getting a consultant here. What does it take and how much is it? I am not a programmer, so I am over my head on Progress.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
That depends on what you need and, to some degree, on where you are and how much of a hurry you're in.

Send me an e-mail or give me a call and I'd be happy to tell you what we can do for you but I don't think the management really wants us cluttering up the forums with sales pitches :blush: