Migrating from v7 to V9

ceolivas

Hi,

we are planning to upgrade our app CHUI (already using v7.3C in SCO) to a new platfform, we are considering WIn2000 server, but as far as I have searched, there is a lot of recoding involved in this process.

Some of my colleagues said that we should convert from CHUI to GUI as we are going to be in trouble anyway.

Is there any chance we can develop a front end with VB o Java and still keep most of our 4GL code? any user interface convertion utillity?.

I would like to ask for your help with any document that can help me figure out this task. I really appreciate your help in the past

Any comment is wellcome.

Thanks in advance

ceolivas@yahoo.com

cgdev

Hi,

As you are saying this application is developed in v7.3C the business logic might not have separated from User Interface.

If your business logic is separed from User Interface then it will be easier to convert the UI.

It will be a massive task to convert the application to any UI if the business logic is not separetd from User Interface.

I could feel converting the application to VB/Java might not be a easy task depending on the application size.

The above is my opinion.

All senior progress talkers please correct me if I am wrong.

ceolivas

Migration v7 to v9

Hi,

thanks for the reply, as I continue reading the Progress documents I am realizing that our CHUI will have to stay, there is so much effort already put into it, but along with this consideration we also have been wondering if changing from SCO to Windows 2000 server would provide us with the ability to develop new modules in GUI while keeping our CHUI modules.

(probably changing SO it is not necessary to do this but I am not sure).

Thanks

cgdev

Hi,

You can still develop new modules in Windows by keeping your DB on SCO. You can connect to DB by providing -H and -S startup parameters.

I feel unix servers would be more stable than Windows most of the times.

Please correct me If I am wrong.