Looking for UK resource?

homepm

Hi All,

Just flying a kite really to see if there is any interest. I was made redundant at the end of last year and I'm now looking for new career opportunities and I wondered if there was anyone out there looking for a UK representative for their company.

I have 10 years Progress experience V7-V9, character/GUI, ADM2 and DBA skills. I have experience of Windows and Unix platforms.

So if there is anyone who has thought about exploring the UK market with their solutions and has moved away from the idea due to resource issues over here, please contact me to see if we can work together.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who thinks I could help them.

Best Regards

Paul

ABLsaurusRex

Hi All,

Just flying a kite really to see if there is any interest. I was made redundant at the end of last year and I'm now looking for new career opportunities and I wondered if there was anyone out there looking for a UK representative for their company.

I have 10 years Progress experience V7-V9, character/GUI, ADM2 and DBA skills. I have experience of Windows and Unix platforms.

So if there is anyone who has thought about exploring the UK market with their solutions and has moved away from the idea due to resource issues over here, please contact me to see if we can work together.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who thinks I could help them.

Best Regards

Paul

There are several good UK consulting firms, Reflex Group see Peter Rowe <PeterR@reflexgroup.co.uk>, and Eclipse IT "David A'Ness" <david@eclipseit.demon.co.uk> .

These folks have a great deal of experience with the progress marketplace.

lord_icon

RE: I have 10 years V7-V9

>>That is YESTERDAY'S technology. If you are looking for direction update, the future is bright the future is OpenEdge (v 10+)
Example it is accepted today's technology includes Internet technology. What Internet features are offered by V7/8/9 ??? What immediately is wanted on a resume???
Update

ABLsaurusRex

RE: I have 10 years V7-V9

>>That is YESTERDAY'S technology. If you are looking for direction update, the future is bright the future is OpenEdge (v 10+)
Example it is accepted today's technology includes Internet technology. What Internet features are offered by V7/8/9 ??? What immediately is wanted on a resume???
Update

Firstly, there are thousands of places all over the world using versions 8 and 9. Secondly, OpenEdge is mostly V7-V0. Yes there are new features, but a person still needs to know the basics. Thirdly, yes, internet technology is important, yes, experience is wanted; but in general, the back end features of a web site seldom require more than a solid understanding of dynamic programming techniques (V7-V9) and the ability to separate business logic from data access (V9), and usually a knowledge of XML processing ( DOM and SAX) (V9) .

We're still about a year away from being to the point at which we say this verion of ABL is the baseline. Whether it's called 10.1C or 10.2 will be a marketing decision, but we're still not there. As things stand now, the V7-V9 programmer has much in common with the 10.0 and 10.1 programmer. Once the new version is out with the enhanced user interface I suspect there will be the same sorts of divergence we saw between V6 and V7, but not until then.

homepm

Should clarify really. I was wondering if there were any non-UK based companies who were looking for a presence in the UK to develop and support customers here. For example companies that have received queries about their solutions from the UK but have not followed up due to lack of resource here. Hope that makse sense.

Paul

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
It may or may not be relevant but if you want to try consulting or contractor/freelancer.

I've gotten a number of referrals and contracting jobs from a few not too complicated source procedures I've posted. Actually the only referrals and jobs I got from this forum.

It seems to be an effective marketing technique so maybe that's something you may want to think and invest some effort in, or not :)

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
It would be interesting to know if anyone did get any kind of jobs from this forum and if so in what way ?

Besides of course the job posts.