License Costs

jongpau

Just a wild guess, but probably because the license numbers of the ones they ship to the customer are linked to the customer for administration and support...

Would probably also help them find the "source" of illegal licenses should they ever suspect this or find licenses like that somewhere.

Licensing Cost

Wow!

Just got a quote back from Progress.
Had been approached by a small company to develop an application for them...

Workgroup DB + a couple of client licenses = 3K.

Not really a problem there.

It's the 6300 (Euro) quoted for Provision that will probably kill the project.

Now the killer is that the initial phase of the project (that I'd been approached to implement) is basically just a production module (barcoding etc). I know that following on from that, the client will have additional requirements (warehousing, EDI etc).

However, the high cost of obtaining a development license (which I would have to pass onto the client) will make it impossible for me to price the project competitively.

I know that this is old ground but it's just so frustrating when you have to turn down a project due pricing of a developer license.

Personally, I can't see why Progress don't include an extra charge on top of End-User Licenses instead of a one-off fee for a development license. This would enable people like myself to get a 'foot in the door' with smaller projects like these. If I only sold one system, I'd only be paying a relatively small amount in licensing but as a system grew or additional systems were sold, Progress would get additional revenue from licensing!

Diogo Melo

yep

Hey,
i know what you mean.
We also wanted to develop for smaller companies but we can’t because of the licences prices….

Hi,

Just to drag this old chestnut back up.

Anyone know license costs for OpenEdge - in particular, a developers license (OpenEdge Studio).

Also, is it just possible to purchase this license from Progress and are there any issues purchasing licenses for deployment of an application..

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
I think, Architect is something like $3600 USD at least it is here, I think, its about the same retail in the US.

Maybe someone who's an AP can comment on the licensing costs. I remember seeing some posts on OE licensing cost @PEG.COM

We did inquire licensing costs for a customer with sites in the UK at one time, don't know why but it seemed to me like everything was 2x ?

It would be interesting to know how much it goes for in say India or China ?

I agree with you when it comes to private developers dont know if I agree when it comes to development companies.

But theres alot of people that have very strong opinions for an against it.

Another way you could look at it is a one time expense and then only small annual payments to keep a current version.

Joey,

Thanks for that. Seems to be some disparity between costs in the states and costs in the UK alright.

Am I correct in saying that once you buy the license initially, you then only pay a maintenance fee (10% or so) yearly to keep it active?

Paul

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
I think, maintenance support is 18% which also includes upgrades.

BTW do you have other clients that do have a development license ?

joey,

basically I am working for a company in a development position.

I have been approached by a few people with respect to developing systems for their companies - something I would do in my spare time. Obviously to do this, I need my own developers license but the initial cost is a bit off-putting. I have been doing other projects in my spare time and have made some money off this so am nearing the stage where I probably will invest in my own licenss..

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
For version 10, OpenEdge Architect is $3600, as is OpenEdge Studio. Just a 4GL license is $2240.

For version 9, OpenEdge Studio is $6000, ProVision Plus is $4500, ProVision is $4000, and 4GL $2,800.

When you get more established, you might want to become a consulting partner and consider a PSDN subscription. It is $3000 a year, but gives you essentially all of the products. However, it is annual, not a one time purchase and maintenance.

tamhas,

Many thanks for your reply. Is it possible simply to phone up Progress and order these licenses or do you need to jump through hoops etc?

Having bought a license, is it then possible to purchase licenses for deployment to clients?

Paul

dayv2005

Re: yep

Hey,
i know what you mean.
We also wanted to develop for smaller companies but we can’t because of the licences prices….

Yeah we came across this issue along with many other ones in the last years. So we are in the planing phase of converting our entire framework in the the .net frame work possibly running a progress db or MsSql not completely sure what we are doing yet. But it's something that i would only suggest looking into if you feel like a lot of planning initial cost and so forth but. With the development for smaller companies might have a nice return for you. Plus with asp.net c# or even vB their is extensive amounts of knowledge on this subject out there.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Having been an AP since 1986, I'm not quite sure what the procedure is, but somewhere there is someone at PSC who can sell you a license. They won't sell you licenses for resale, though, without becoming a partner and I don't know what they want these days to become a regular AP. However, I have heard indirectly that there is a "service partner" for people who are consultants who provide development services and the like. See http://www.progress.com/partners/our_partners/service_integration/index.ssp I don't know anything about the terms, but there is a link on that page in the right column for a becoming a partner form, so that is where I would start. Now that they have this category, I would recommend it. Who knows, you might even get a percentage if you cause someone to buy Progress. If you get to the point of actually having a product, then you could transition to being a full AP. I believe, though, that service partners are eligible for PSDN subscriptions, which is a great way to have a full set of licenses. See here
http://www.psdn.com/library/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=81&externalID=1023&fromSearchPage=true
for the programs and here
http://www.psdn.com/library/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=81&externalID=1024&fromSearchPage=true
for the contents of the SDK.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you are only selling onesy-twosey, then you are probably stuck using that sort of product, but if you think you can sell volume into smaller sites, then you should discuss a Percentage of Application license with PSC. Something over 15% of PSC APs are on POA licenses where they simply sell their application at the price they set and pay PSC a percentage like a royalty. They can then install whatever products they need at the site, as long as they are covered by the POA license. This is a way you can sell to small sites at a price they will afford, but keep using an enterprise class tool so that you can also sell to large sites when the opportunity presents. At the large site you might end up giving PSC more dollars than you would if you were on a straight license deal, but it is still the same fixed percentage that applies to the small site.

Note that the POA license only covers specific negotiated software. E.g., if you negotiate one today for the DB and GUI client and then next year want to add Sonic, you will need a new negotiation, but then there is also no reason you can't include Sonic or any other PSC product in the mix.

A bit confused after reading all that.

Basically, I'd be looking to purchase a development license to develop some client-specific products. Having developed the product, I would then need to buy some licenses from Progress (maybe my client could do this directly?) for deployment of the product. There are a few custom applications that I have been asked to develop by different potential clients.

It appears that this may not be possible without signing up for a partnership of some sort with PSC? Or am I completely wrong there?

Why do Progress make this so difficult!!!

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you just want to buy a license, you can do that, but I would consider filling out the form as a potential service partner as a starting point. If they don't want you or there is something that makes you not want to do this yet, then fine, they can point you at a rep and just buy a copy.

As an end-user, you won't be able to buy licenses for resale, but, yes, your customer can buy them direct from PSC. I'm not sure whether you can resell licenses as a service partner. That would be one of the things to ask. This would be nice because you can make a few bucks on the licenses and tie your customer to you. Most of my customers historically have had very weak internal IT resources, so I give them all encompasing support contracts for the application and for Progress and then I pay their Progress maintenance for them (at a discount). That way, they call me with any questions without having to figure out if it is a Progress issue or my application and I can give them better support and a single point of contact ... while making some money on it.

One issue I can see with your plan is that getting a development license for yourself only gives you a personal DB to work against. For another $1000 you can get a 5 user workgroup license to work against. But, one of the big advantages of becoming a service partner, other than visibility, is that you become eligible for the PSDN subscription. $3K a year might seem like a lot, but consider that it means you have an enterprise database to work with, AppServer, Sonic, etc., etc. so that you can develop and test fully modern applications for your customers.

erick.rosales

Anyone knows wich is the real diference between OpenEdge Studio and OpenEdge Architect.

I saw some screenshots of Architec and it looks nice, although the screen of the AppBuilder is very small.

I haven't seen screenshots of Studio.

I'm looking for a Development Tool to do the following:

- Develop and deploy Programs in Character Mode.
- Develop and deploy Programas in Graphic Mode, use of the AppBuilder (I knew this tool like UIB - User INterface Builder in older versions)
- Administrate Databases (Query Tables, Field, INdexes)

erick.rosales

I asked this because I'm interested in buy a licence but because of the Cost of the Licence I NEED TO DO THE RIGHT BUY.... IS HIGHLY COSTLY TO DO THE WRONG SELECTION.