Issue with Converting Progress 9.1E to OpenEdge 10.2

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Question for Tom: does conv910 also update the metaschema and VST schema, or would Renee also want to run proutil dbname -C updateschema and proutil dbname -C updatevst? Either way, it doesn't hurt to run them.

Also, it's a good idea to run proutil dbname -C describe, and check that large file support (option 5) is enabled. This permits extents to grow beyond 2 GB. If not, run proutil dbname -C EnableLargeFiles.

And now that you have a v10 database, you would do well to plan a move to a Type II storage area structure.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I don't think that conv910 adds the VSTs. I generally do the conv910 step as a prelude to a full blown dump & load so it doesn't matter much to me ;)

Your additional steps are right on the money for moving forward with a converted database.

I ran a database analysis and the results are below:

101011 index block(s) found in the database.

Size key:
B = bytes
K = kilobytes
M = megabytes
G = gigabytes
T = terabytes

0 free block(s) found in the database.

0 index table block(s) found in the database.

1 sequence block(s) found in the database.

62 empty block(s) found in the database.

475974 total blocks found in the database.

database analysis complete Tue Nov 22 09:33:43 2011101011 index block(s) found in the database.

Size key:
B = bytes
K = kilobytes
M = megabytes
G = gigabytes
T = terabytes

0 free block(s) found in the database.

0 index table block(s) found in the database.

1 sequence block(s) found in the database.

62 empty block(s) found in the database.

475974 total blocks found in the database.

database analysis complete Tue Nov 22 09:33:43 2011

How should I go about creating storage areas based on the data above?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Even better: you can also watch the presentation on Storage Optimization Strategies in technicolor, with extra exposition and explanation of the slides, and 18 minutes of audience Q&A. ;) Highly recommended.

Renee: there's a lot here to absorb for a newbie. You may be rewinding a lot (I did). But it's a great lesson in structure design.