ip-adress registration

Progressstalker

He guys and girls,

I was busy building an application with webspeed.
Now I was wondering to make a website for information only to instruct the new users in our company.

Now was I wondering the following.

Lets say I'll make a forum just like ProgressTalk. Is it possible to register all the ip-addresses of all the members that post here?? Also if you were a guest (on some forums, one can post messages as guest also, kind of like a "quick response" in which u can type any name), can u register their ip-adress also??

I know the ISP's can't give the adres (home adres) of a user but through let's say hacking, is it possible to find out the ip-adres and the adres where a person lives??

I would like to build a forum but also to kick out members who are there just to make obscene gestures and only come to "harrass" people or insult them so I as admin can ban there ip-adres so they can't post here no more.

But there are people who claim that they can find out any ip-adress and also there home adress. Is this true??

Advice on this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.!!

gcampbell

What about using one of the Webspeed SESSION Variables -- something like REMOTE_ADDR? Will that give you enough information?

Progressstalker

gcampbell said:
What about using one of the Webspeed SESSION Variables -- something like REMOTE_ADDR? Will that give you enough information?
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'm only thinkin of building this forum. I however wanted some background info to the questions I asked in the first post. So is it possible for other users or guests to "capture" the ip-adres of a poster which has posted a message.

Can a user do this generally speaking? So yes, how to counter it? And can they do more fishy stuff with ip-adresses obtained from messages which are posted in forums.

Take the example of this message of mine. Can you for example find out what the ip-adress is of the user (the user is me: Progressstalker) and what kind of fishy stuff can you do with the ip-adress of mine (e.g. hacking etc).

This is more a sequirity issue and I would like to have more general info about it, that's why the questions in the first post and this post.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Progressstalker (you nicked my pun),

1. As far as IP addresses go, the server (web forum host) can record the users IP address. How much information can be derived from it depends on whether or not that user is masking their address through a proxy (and how reliable that proxy is), and on how identifiable their PC is, once the genuine IP address is known (eg. if they are connecting through a company network).

In the case of the correct IP address being known, the information can be used by the ISP to determine the users details. So there is no protection from the legal authorities tracing an unsophisticated user if they have been up to no good.

So, although a legal team (eg. FBI) could track the user down, normally there is no guaranteed way of the server directly identifiing someones pc, let alone their home address from (only) the IP address.

2. As far as other forum users go, they only have access to the information published by the website - which is unlikely to include other users IP information.

HTH