How to empty a database

kevin_w

Hi,

I have a program that's running a progress database to store information in it. I wanna clean the database, but keeping the menu structure. Anyone who knows how to do this ? I'm currently new in progress so any help would be very usefull.

Thanks

Kevin, I suspect that by "menu structure" you mean database schema.

If so, your easiest solution is to have an empty database with the correct schema on standby.
You could then easily delete the database with the information on it and recreate it from your empty version.

prodel database
/* prostrct create database */
procopy empty-database database

lord_icon

Long hand

That is one option, though you could always try the long-hand method. Backup - any data, for emergency roll-back. Copy the .df / definitions file for security. For each each table and delete. That is the long-handed method, and assumes you have admin assess. Or simply with the definitions file, create a new db, use the new db - it will be empty - would have effectivly deleted all records!!! Integrity has been maintained - you can simply access any data at a later date for refference / security.

kevin_w

Norman Biggar said:
Kevin, I suspect that by "menu structure" you mean database schema.

If so, your easiest solution is to have an empty database with the correct schema on standby.
You could then easily delete the database with the information on it and recreate it from your empty version.

prodel database
/* prostrct create database */
procopy empty-database database

Hi,

The problem is that i don't have a empty database i have only the *.db file, *.bi file and the *.lg file thats all. Ive tried to create an empty database wich is included by the progress version, but this will not work. Can you not make a new database but only take over the database schema and leave the rest for what it is ??? If notice that when i add records to the database or delete records to the database the file size doesn't change ??? Is this normal or is it store the information somewhere else ???

Greetz,

Kevin