How to determine the last date/time a table was updated in OpenEdge 10 via ODBC...

ClayGoss

We have an OE10.1A db - I would like to be able to determine when tables were last updated. Does anyone know of a way to query this in SQL-92 via ODBC?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Re: How to determine the last date/time a table was updated in OpenEdge 10 via ODBC..

We have an OE10.1A db - I would like to be able to determine when tables were last updated. Does anyone know of a way to query this in SQL-92 via ODBC?

OpenEdge has auditing capabilities built into the database.

Me, except for a little bit of experimenting I've never really used it.

Have a look at the auditing documentation.

I'd be interested to hear how you got along with it, good luck.

ClayGoss

Re: How to determine the last date/time a table was updated in OpenEdge 10 via ODBC..

Well, not much help to me. We do not have Progress development tools - just a OE10.1A db with "embedded" licensing provided by a software vendor and the vendor's application. We would like to know where the application stores record counter values/id's for certain things so we can see what the "highest" used value is - for things such as PO#s, SO#s, and other counters not seen on the UI that tie tables together.

So, in a sandbox system, I could so some operation and then ask the system, "what tables were modified since just before I did the operation?" I know what tables operations put the "user" data in - armed with the answer to my question, I would know where it puts these counters.

In other vendor's db's there are tools to ask such things - often with just a table listing one would get row count, last update (at least date), perhaps table size, record size, etc.

Thanks, Clay

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member

Tables are not operation system files. There is no last modified date time.

There are, probably, counters (most likely, implemented as database sequences)

And in some, probably, not all cases there maybe date, time fields in the application database you could query.

In regards to a development license.

You could either hire a consultant, that already has a development license.

Or buy a development license. Depending on the alternatives buying products is in some cases more cost effective.

ClayGoss

>> There are, probably, counters (most likely, implemented as database sequences)

I am not sure what you are talking about - and suppose they exist, and would tell the date/time tables were modified, can they be queried via SQL 92 through an ODBC connection?

>> And in some, probably, not all cases there maybe date, time fields in the application database you could query.

Well, this would be nice, but the developer elected to skip providing them some tables

>> In regards to a development license. You could either hire a consultant, that already has a development license.

This would not be "quick" - I need to find a solution yesterday. By the time a consultant and I figured a way to communicate the schema, well, it would just take too long.

>> Or buy a development license. Depending on the alternatives buying products is in some cases more cost effective.

Oh! I would love to buy a developer's license - talked to a Progress Sales Exec - once. I suppose I should try again, but it would have been nice if he would have gotten back to me.

Also, this implies a number of things; 1) I could get rolling on 4GL quickly, 2) the answer I seek can actually be determined.

But nevertheless, I would like a developer's license - anyone here have one for sale?