How to create window that is uneffected by parents dialog boxes

cthulhugeek

Hi,

I want my parent window to be able to pop up a small window that will have some tools icons that you could move to the side but have at all times. The problem I have is that, when the parent window runs a dialog box, you loose access to the pop up window. You can see it, as it is a always-on-top window. How can I run this little toolbox window so that it is completly uneffected by all the other windows and dialogs?

Any help would be much apprecieted.

Don
www.donaldcfoley.com

bulklodd

since even progress couldn't do that with their protools, the window isn't accessible when a modal window is run. so the only way i see it's to run your toolbox window as a separate process.

hth

lord_icon

As to the answer before, this involves a workaround.Instantiate, have seperate processes.A compiler WILL oonly do 1 objective at a time. Create seperate objects and pass focus to. An elephant is a huge animal, how would a person small by comparison eat 1?? Cut it into smaller bites. When all the bites are added together a whole huge elephant has been consumed.

doreynie

Can't you do it with running a separate window persistently? And then access procedures and functions in this window using the handle you assigned to it when you ran the window persistent.

An elephant is a huge animal, how would a person small by comparison eat 1?? Cut it into smaller bites. When all the bites are added together a whole huge elephant has been consumed.

Lord, I've warned you before about solving coding issues by eating elephants. They are two completely different subjects, and no use if the programmer is a vegetarian.

Can't you do it with running a separate window persistently? And then access procedures and functions in this window using the handle you assigned to it when you ran the window persistent.

He is (as far as I can tell) running it persistently - but the modal nature of the dialog box prevents user access to it within the same session - like clicking on a (bulklodd's example) protools button when the 'Open File' dialog is on screen.

You can't do it within Progress - if you must access it at all times within the same session, you'll have to do without dialogs (and message boxes!). So I reckon the best solution is to accept it as a (normal) limitation of the app, unless you want to spend a lot of time working around it using seperate sessions or WinAPI calls.

See KB 13540 for more info.