How to configure PROMSGS

shaik.a

Hi All,

I am using Progress 10.2A, windows 7 professional 32 bit OS.

i have copied the promsgs file from openedge folder(which is present on network drive "P") to local system folder i.e. "C:\temp"

I am getting this error "msgOpen: unable to open message file: PROMSGS" when i have Environmental variable as "PROMSGS" remeber i am already having "DLC" variable set. The reason to set PROMSG is because of this error "Errno=22 reading PROMSGS file, it may have been deleted". if you need more infor please you can ask....

my DLC=P:\OE102A and PROMSGS=C:\temp

please help its quit urgent.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You are getting this error when you do what, exactly? When you run some application client? If so, look at how you launch this client: evaluate the command line, look into any parameter files it contains (*.pf), examine their contents. They may point to an ini file (e.g. -basekey ini -ininame <somefile>.ini), and the .ini may point to a different PROMSGS location. If you're not using .ini files, there may be information in the registry instead.

Remember to check startup.pf, which applies to all clients.

What is the value of your PROMSGS environment variable?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
He did say:

The reason to set PROMSG is because of this error "Errno=22 reading PROMSGS file, it may have been deleted".

Also, PROMSGS is s surprisingly robust source of IO. Trace IO and you will be absolutely amazed how often it gets read... having it on a network drive would be less than ideal. Especially if the network itself is less than ideal.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I read it as his getting the error *because* he copied it, not that he was copying it to try to deal with the error.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
A client of mine did a network install. Not even the Progress version, but sort of a homebrew solution of manually copying all the files to a network share, and using a combination of NFS and samba. Performance was abysmal. I would advocate against network installations of DLC.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So, one of the questions here is why is there a PROMSGS reference on a network share to start with? Is it because all of DLC is there? How is that working performance wise? What is the actual problem with PROMSGS?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The referenced error is a very common Progress on Windows error. Among other things it may also indicate that a virus scanner has locked PROMSGS.