Question How Are You Publishing Your Changes To Live Environment?

MissBee

Just out of interest - what kind of tools are you using in new code deployment? Do you have some market tools which are doing the publishing or have you developed some tools yourself? How are you managing version control?

Any clues how to deploy in different ways is more than welcome :)

The landscape I talk about is several instancies of same application around the world, keeping them under release control and publishing latest releases through some tool.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
We currently use Subversion, and deploy manually, but then we're an in-house application so it's easy.
In the past I've worked with Roundtable and I would personally look no further for a solution. It's written using OpenEdge, and the support is second to none.

TheMadDBA

RoundTable is the best OpenEdge source code control system out there. It will handle pretty much everything you would expect and probably some things you don't know you need yet.

As far as the actual deployment goes... for server side code I am a fan of tar files for Unix systems and zip files for Windows. Just extract the contents over the existing code.

For client deployments it is usually a SMS package deployed in advance by the Windows team. When I didn't have that luxury it was downloaded through the application (using RAW columns in a temp-table to reconstruct the file).

There are options for package updates through the WebClient (not really web, but http connection) but I have not used them.

GregTomkins

We use RTB, but we don't really use it for deployment per se - really it's just for versioning. Our deployment system is an unbelievably complicated organically developed collection of tools written in various languages by many people over many years, and we have 5 (or so) full-time people managing it. We deploy to (I am guessing) around 50 different environments, with major releases a few times/year and incremental fixes almost every week. Our code is 97% Progress but we use nearly all the different Progress products - eg. WebSpeed, Open Client, Telnet clients, Windows clients, WebClient, batch programs, daemons, etc.

I guess how you would deploy depends hugely on your level of access to and control over the target systems. In our case, we almost always own them, and if not, we have wide-open root access and log into them all the time. Other folks, of course, just package code up and send it off for a customer admin to install. We don't do that ;)

I wish we could simplify and streamline our deployment system - it's fairly reliable, but it seems to take way too many people and at that, often way too long to get WIP pushed to test systems. Unfortunately, it's hugely critical and hugely complicated, and there are a million more pressing priorities, so, it is continually pushed to the back of the stove.

One thing I have to say - I have mixed feelings about RTB, and I don't think the fact that it was written in Progress should be relevant!, but that aside - all the time I here people say stuff like, "XXX would be so much better if we used [insert name of tool that they used at university here, eg. Git or SVN]". I call total BS on that! What problems we have are, IMO, 99% orthogonal to the tools we use. But maybe that's just us. On balance, I would put switching to a different tool at the bottom of my list of deployment improvements!

Stefan

For source control we use TFS.
For building we use Jenkins + Ant + PCT.
For deploying we package it all in Inno Setup (last step in the Jenkins build process):