Hi all and a question

ddh33

I'm going to be a second-year CS student in college and have only done Java programming. Know nothing about databases. Recently my dad's boss said there could be a summer job for me in his company in a bit but the person has to know Progress. Since he doesn't know much about computers (he just casually asked some guy in charge), could I possibly handle this job?

I won't necessarily take this job, but if Progress is something I could learn on my own that suits my computing knowledge then I'd be happy to learn it just for kicks. lol

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
short answer, yes. you can get functional pretty fast in 4gl. but it really
depends on how complicated is the application.

most of what you'll need to get started with databases, like, transactions,
normalizations etc. can be summarized in half an hour.

take one of those access or some other quick tutorial. leave those 300
pages academic text books for now, find something short and sweet.

4gl access to the database is similar to how other languages work with
arrays, pretty strait forward.

go over to psdn.com download test drive and take a look at the product
intros while you're doing that.

tell us if you need a hand with the installation.

download the docs and have a look at the getting started tutorials
http://www.progress.com/progress_so...entation/openedge10_1a/docs/openedge_101a.zip

good luck

ddh33

I don't know which tutoriol to look at...I took the tour the comes with the software (installation went fine). It seems that it just talked about basic functionality of Openedge Architect without MENTIONING CONCEPTS OF DATABASES AND HOW TO ACTUALLY WRITE CODE. Could someone recommend a tutorial for me? I know NOTHING about databases.

Progress2007

U Should go with Progress Language Tutorial For Windows and DataBase Design Guide. I think it is more than sufficeint to work out.

Progress2007