Frame Work

rolmedo

Actually we are using provision for develop our systems (using webclient), but each new version of our system is bigger, the people of dwp says that with this tool my version will be lighter because it works in dynamic way. But what about the Eclipse ? what do you think about developing ? what do you recomend me: DWP or Eclipse ?
Thanks

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

IMO Eclipse (Architect is plugin of Eclipse) is not a framework, it's an IDE. It's a tool to develop your application in (like the appbuilder, but then more sophisticated :)

DWP is a real framework in the sense that it is made purely to develop applications with. With using Eclips you probably still need to develop your own framework to develop applications in.

For instance with dwp you can make working screens without having to code one single line. Lots of stuff you encounter when developing software are already being taken care off. Stuff like screen development is made surprisingly easy. Transaction management, session management is done for you and there are standard reports available for every screen (pdf, excel). It also supports different UI's (.NET, WebClient, Ajax, etc...).

In Eclipse no such functionality is available. So if your choice depends those 2 choises then DWP would be (by far) the best choice of those 2.

Saying that, choosing a framework most times depends on more issues then the ones you stated. And only by gathering all the requirements you have for a (new) framework you can come to an answer.

Regards,

Casper.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
It would be great if there was a way we could tryout and get to know DWP.

I know of at least one major client and couple smaller projects I could have certainly used DWP.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
I know I would be very interested to know alot more about DWP. Especially, after the great reviews it keeps getting again and again and again. People certainly seem to have a great attitude about the product.

I don't know what exactly a webinar would mean ? I would like some testdrive and documentation to really learn howto work with DWP and use it for customer projects. One of the major reasons I have for recommending software is how well I know the product.

Harold Klaassen

In a Webinar we could do a presentation about DWP (SOA architecture, positioning, mulit-client developing) and demo our Development Environment.

Netsetup is allways present at the Exchange and the PTW (Europe). At those venues we regulaly organize interactive sessions.

It would be great if there was a way we could tryout and get to know DWP.

This is very clear and true, but why you don't ask a demo version from Netsetup? http://www.netsetup.nl/demoform.php

Although in the latest 4.2 version is much more functionality implemented than was at beginning, since few years ago, to understand and learn DWP still needs only a short period. And, once you over on the first steps you can always count with help of the DWP community.

Greetings,
-istvan