Question Error Loading Df File

Hi All,
I am receiving the below error while loading the DF file in OE 11.6 but not receiving the error in 9.1E. I have just kept the dummy field/table names - sorry for that. I understood the error for one field but couldn't find for another.

Error:
------
Table: t1
Field: f1
Index: lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq Error qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
Sequence: ** Error during ADD FIELD f1 **
Invalid Initial value

Table: t2
Field: f2
Index: lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq Error qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
Sequence: x ** Error during ADD FIELD f2 **
Invalid Initial value

DF:
---
ADD FIELD "f1" OF "t1" AS decimal
FORMAT ">>>,>>>,>>9.99"
INITIAL "999,999,999.99"
LABEL "Label1"
POSITION 14
SQL-WIDTH 240
EXTENT 8
DECIMALS 2
ORDER 110

ADD FIELD "f2" OF "t2" AS date
FORMAT "99/99/9999"
INITIAL "terminal-date"
LABEL "Label2"
POSITION 25
SQL-WIDTH 4
HELP "Enter the date of the order."
ORDER 250

The initial value "terminal-date" is not a date datatype which is the reason for issue but not sure about the first field. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Saravanakumar B

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Your initial value has commas in it ",". It is also surrounded by quotes, meaning it is a string not a decimal. Try
INITIAL 999999999.99

Oh cool.

Just curious - I received only the invalid initial value for DATE datatype error and not for the other on Windows OE 11.6 but received both errors on Linux OE 11.6. Any specific reasons?

Regards,
Saravanakumar B

Cringer

Staff member
It depends on what options you selected for the load to be honest.

Cringer - sorry, may be a dumb question. What kind of options do you mean while loading DF? All I do is choose few check boxes like, 'Stop if Errors Found', 'Output Errors to File' and 'Output Errors to Screen'. Is that what you mean by saying options selected for load? OR something else? Please advise.

Regards,
Saravanakumar B

Cringer

Staff member
Yes sorry - those are the options I mean.
I've not used 9.1 for a long time myself so I can't comment on whether or not it's more tolerant.

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You may want to compare your "startup.pf" in the v9 and v11 DLC folder.

Progress will use these values (which you set at install time) unless you overwrite them with your own pf file, mine for example (UK) is

Code:
-cpinternal ISO8859-1
-cpstream ISO8859-1
-cpcoll Basic
-cpcase Basic
-d dmy
-numsep 44
-numdec 46

Which as you can see includes number separators and date format.

Not saying this is your problem BTW just might help.

Regards

Chris.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your response. I double checked the PF file and it doesn't have any -numsep or -numdec parameter mentioned on it. Do you have an idea on what is the default value for this and do you think this could be an issue?

Regards,
Saravanakumar B

cj_brandt

It might be related to the min, max and initial value. Starting with a version in OE 10, I believe the initial value can no longer match the max value when creating a sequence. There is info on this in the KB.

The issue is bit weird because am able to load the same on Windows OE 11.6 without any problem; I have the issue only on Linux. I received only the date issue on Windows and not the other and in Linux am getting both.

Note: When I say windows my application is not running on windows; I just tested on windows machine. My actual application runs on Linux machine. Do you think it may be due to some configuration issue?

Below is my PF file data (modified the DB name);
-inp 16000
-yy 1940
-tok 3072
-stsh 30
-s 120
-e 120
-l 1536
-nb 255
-T /progress_tmp
-t
-TB 31
-TM 31
-Bt 256
-db /opt/sb1
-d mdy
-cpterm ibm850
-cpprint ibm850
-cpstream ibm850

Please advise.

I got one observation on this yesterday. I use puTTy (Linux OS) - once I login to my application and on procedure editor if I display any decimal value I could see it displayed with apostrophe and comma, rather than comma and dot respectively.

say 999,999,999.99 gets displayed as 999'999'999,99

Do you think this could be the root cause for the 'Invalid Initial Value' problem? If yes, what configuration do I have to change on puTTy to get this working?

Please advise.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You don't want *any* number separator except the decimal when providing numeric constants.

yes Tamhas, looks like that was the root cause here. I re-installed progress on the Linux machine and it was asking for date and decimal type; when I chose the proper option the DF loaded properly.

Thanks everyone.