Error Install Progress in Wine Suse 10.1

moahrs

Dear friends,

I am braziliam, and my english is not good...

But, I will try install progress 9.1c, 9,1d e 9,1e in my suse linux 10.1 with wine, but same every error message in the hour I entry the code for provision... : "base configuration file is invalid"...

I will search, and find wich the progress.cfg is load in the memory before entry the code... But when entry the code, show this message...

I testing in windows with filemon, and create a progress.cfg invalid, and in the same hour, in the entry code, the message error show.

O see wich many peoples is using progress under wine, and using open edge under wine... and i will use too...

I think wich the wine is loading the progress.cfg wrong, because i not found other cause for this problem (file of windows ex> win.ini, or code in the windows, e etc... ).

I wait wich your undertand my words... rssss

Very thank you...

Moacir Jr.

moahrs

Hi,

Somebody knows as to decide this?

Well, as much people yet installed progress with wine, so I that I do not obtain...

Already I will seek the entire InterNet, but not has nothing.

so I found here in this forum.

It will be that the used steps could postar at least pra to have installed?

I am in this depend for to kick windows of mine machine.

Thank you.

moahrs

I thank the hep, But yours so had ordered me to look at in sites of proper progress, that it says not to have nothing for run GUI in linux with wine.
I wanted I was that somebody that today works with the GUI/Provision/Appbuilder in linux with wine, that I saw several in posts here, presented me the steps to make this, because I am not obtaining.

Thanks
Moacir Jr.

I wanted I was that somebody that today works with the GUI/Provision/Appbuilder in linux with wine, that I saw several in posts here, presented me the steps to make this, because I am not obtaining.

Is it possible you misread the posts?

There are a couple of references to 'linux wine' on www.peg.com (which will have been mirrored on ProgressTalk). but they are generally complaining about the fact that wine is not supported for Progress GUI.

Here is a post on Peg where someone claims to have Appbuilder working, despite the denial from Progress.

http://www.peg.com/lists/peg/history/200603/msg00661.html

To be honest, though, if Progress says it isn't available, that means that even if you manage to get it up and running, you will almost certainly be on your own if you screw your application or database up.

moahrs

Thanks,

I whill learn more about this...

But I am conformed that nao I will go to be able to kick windows of mine so early notebook.
I am really thankful all that had helped me. And if somebody to obtain some progress how much to this subject, that post in this forum to be able all to verify.

Very Thankyou
Moacir Jr.

moahrs

I guys,

I have success in install and use the progress 10.1A in my suse linux 10.1 with wine. Its very fast... And run complet.

But I need run progress 9.1e or 9.1d, because in my work, all databases and .r compiled programs is in version 9. The erro is the same: the prowin32 can not read tabel convmap.cp. He found the convmap.cp, but not can read. It's very stranger.

Thanks a lot.

Moacir jr.

moahrs

I guys,

I have success in install and use the progress 10.1A in my suse linux 10.1 with wine. Its very fast... And run complet.

But I need run progress 9.1e or 9.1d, because in my work, all databases and .r compiled programs is in version 9. The erro is the same: the prowin32 can not read tabel convmap.cp. He found the convmap.cp, but not can read. It's very stranger. The cod error is (1039).

Thanks a lot.

Moacir jr.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Hello Moacir jr,

First of, please tell us what was the problem installing Progress on wine and how you fixed it ?!!!

About the codepage error, it could be a problem with the codepage you're using. For the moment, open the startup.pf in the %DLC% (Progress installation directory) and change the following parameters (but make sure to save a copy of the file before making the changes).

-cpinternal undefined
-cpstream undefined
-cpcoll basic
-cpcase basic

Please also post the original parameters in the startup.pf file, the -cpinternal and -cpstream are especially important. I don't remember the exact details but, I think, support for some languages whether it's just the PROMSGS file or also codepage definitions needs to be downloaded (for free) and installed separately.

moahrs

Hi Joey,

I be happy for you response.

The progress 10.1a install e run perfectlly with wine 0.29 (in using linux suse 10.1).

The progress 9, cause the error in instalation: "base configuration file is invalid". I discovered wich is the file progress.cfg wich not read right form the disc, but the same disc install in other computer with windows.

And the problem of the convmap.cp, the result of you test is : Incapaz de ler de cima a baixo a tabela case para o c�igo de p�ina UNDEFINED e case name BASIC de convmap.cp. (1039). Is in braziliam portuguese, but the error is the same.

My original startup.pf:

-cpinternal ISO8859-1
-cpstream ISO8859-1
-cpcoll Basic
-cpcase Basic
-d dmy
-numsep 46
-numdec 44

Thanks a lot.

Moacir Jr.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
did you try reinstalling after removing the readonly attribute from all the installation files ?

back to the convmap error, try recompiling the convmap.dat file -

run %DLC%\bin\proenv.bat (%DLC% is the progress installation, make sure it's the progress version 9 and NOT the 10.1 directory).

type the following in the proenv> command line -

proutil -C CODEPAGE-COMPILER "%DLC%\prolang\convmap\convmap.dat" "%DLC%\prolang\convmap\convmap.cp"

make a backup copy of the original %DLC%\convmap.cp

and replace it with the %DLC%\prolang\convmap\convmap.cp you've just built.

hope this helps.

moahrs

Hi friend and Friends,

Excuse the delay in the reply, but was not obtaining to make what you it spoke to me.

I download wine 0.9.30 and ..... IT FUNCTIONED…. I only am with a problem that when opening windows in the Appbuilder, it of some errors (4132) e (78).

If you to know what can be this. But since already, I am thankful very for the aid, and all of the group...... Progress 9.1E functions in LINUX with WINE 0.9.30.

Thanks a lot,

Moacir Jr.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
between your english and my english it's a good thing we can understand each other :awink:

looks like a high-resolution bug. download and roll the 9.1e service packs. it's a good idea to have atleast the first service pack.

btw, did compiling the codepage conversion map solve the problem ?

moahrs

Dear friend,

I patched the progress 9.1e for the progress 9.1e03, one of the error not show more, but, when i open a windows for development in the Appbuilder, the progress show much errors (78), and open the windows for development, with all objects (button, labels, field e etc), with same width and hight of the window.

Yesterday, i altered much settings, and open windows, and execute the programs, and in a moment, the appbuilder begins open the windows, with no these error, and with the all objects of th windows correct. But, when i exit of the progress, and open again, the errors show again, and i not know the i make for function yesterday.

PS: If i run the program, the window show correctly, but opening in the appbuilder for development, shor the errors.

Thanks a lot,

Moacir Jr.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i'll have a look at the knowledge base and peg.

wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler if you got a copy of windows, at least for development :rolleyes:

moahrs

Yes,

I have tested with installed program with wine and with copy instaled with my windows... Both have same errors.... (78).

I will to search in the peg and knolandege base.

Thanks a lot,

Moacir Jr.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
I have tested with installed program with wine and with copy instaled with my windows... Both have same errors.... (78).

really ?!

i've got a 9.1e windows version installed on my pc (windows xp) and it installed and works just fine, as it always does and should. what version of windows ? screen resolution might also be good to know and anything else that might be a little bit out of the ordinary or you think might be relevant.

you really shouldn't have any problems installing on a genuine windows machine. the first thing i would do is reinstall (uninstall first). it's not only obviously tested but windows is, probably, the most popular development (not deployment) platform.