Error 231 communicating with ProService

Good morning,

I tried to start a test database via Procontrol and I received Error 231 communicating with ProService. I also tried to stop ProService using ProControl again and got the same error. So the status is "ProService is active on <servername>"

So I decided to try to stop it via Services in Computer Management and it's still in the "Stopping" state. I also received any error but I wasn't able to catch it.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

Regards,
Renee

RealHeavyDude

Yeah, it was introduced with Progress V8 some 20 years ago, and, AFAIK, many Windoze DBAs loved it. It was replaced in Progress V9 some 13 years ago with the AdminService which is still in the product as of OpenEdge 10.

As nothing is revealed about the OS it's hard to advise anything other than to check the rights. AFAIK on some ( if not all ) Windoze version services are installed out-of-the-box with the account LocalSystem, for which Windoze is very particalur when it decideds who it gives access to. Even if your an administrator you need to give you the rights in the first place. IMHO you should always run such beasts under a dedicated account which has administrator privileges.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

The server currently runs version 9. Checked the server again this morning and the ProService is still in the "stopping" state.

I do have administrator rights so it seems as though rebooting will be my best option.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you're going to reboot, there's not much point in killing it. If you're willing and able to reboot, I'd say that's a better route.

And I agree with RHD, have your application service run with its own account. It makes issues like file permissions much easier to deal with, with less chance of unwanted side-effects.

Hi all,

Just letting you know that I killed the prosrvc.exe and that fixed the issue. Therefore there was no need to reboot the server. Thanks for all your responses.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Proservice was kept around in v9 for backward compatibility. "Progress Explorer" replaced it as the "official" GUI admin tool. It was removed completely in OE10. OpenEdge Explorer has since displaced Progress Explorer. There will probably be yet another gui admin tool coming along shortly...

The command line tools have continued to work as expected and without interruption or re-training all along.