Dumping trouble.

ron

I have scripts originally developed to D/L Progress 9.1D DBs under Solaris 8. I recently tweeked them for a new environment with Unixware ... no problem. I'm now tweeking them again for a different environment with 9.1E under AIX 5.3 - but have struck trouble.

The new environment has MANY Progress databases, ranging from under 1 MB to about 22 GB. I have copied one of the very small ones for testing and when I try to dump (binary dump) I get loads of errors like this:

SYSTEM ERROR: Unable to cache field map information for 'ap-bacs'. (7995)
SYSTEM ERROR: Unable to cache field map information for 'ap-bank'. (7995)
SYSTEM ERROR: Unable to cache field map information for 'ap-chq-xref'. (7995)

The Progress KB info for msg 7995 is completely unhelpful.

The tech people who set-up this system are no longer available - but I believe that only the largest DB has ever been dumped/reloaded before. The one I'm testing on was originally created prior to Progress 9 and thus would be the product of conv89 - if that's of any help.

Can anyone shed light on this problem?

Cheers,

Ron. :(

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Did you check the database for any inconsistences?
Does this happen random, on all tables or with specific tables. You checked for any envrionment issues? (Cant think of any right now, but still ;-)).
How are the resources on the system?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I second the motion to try the commands manually.

Is this a binary dump sort of process? Or an ascii dump sort of process?

Can you successfully run "FOR EACH whatever NO-LOCK: END." from the editor?

Also try another db to determine if this is a general problem at the site or if it is specific to this particular db.

ron

Sorry for the delay ... I had another problem.

My scripts do binary dumps, with: $DLC/bin/proutil -RO $DBFILE -C dump $tab $dumpdir

I just did a "manual" dump of all tables using the Procedure Editor. It gave no errors - BUT every single table dumped zero records! Obviously there is a problem with this database. I'll have a go with a different one and see how I go. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Ron.