Dump and Load ver 8.3b

Bopper

I have 4 db's to dump and load. the largest is 13gb. I am running on a HP9000 K450 the last time this was done was when the db was at 11gb and I was told it took 4 days to do this.
MY question is: What is the best way to do this dump and load and should it take this long???
thanks for any info you can send my way.
Tom

vinod_home

Depends on what kind of application it is. If its MFG/PRO then try asking in the QAD forum.

But generally speaking, do you know what tables have the largest amount of data. Like whether they are transaction history tables and if yes you can skip those tables and dump all the others and load them into a database and you are good to go. Then you can even load the transaction tables in batches into your new database if you need it or have another database for reporting purposes.

HTH

Bopper said:
I have 4 db's to dump and load. the largest is 13gb. I am running on a HP9000 K450 the last time this was done was when the db was at 11gb and I was told it took 4 days to do this.
MY question is: What is the best way to do this dump and load and should it take this long???
thanks for any info you can send my way.
Tom

ron

We dumped and re-loaded a 100GB db in December and it took 48hrs in total (not including backups) on a Sun V480 with 16GB memory. It had not been done for two years. We did it again last week with the db now at 105GB and it only took 24hrs. Although the db had grown a bit ... it was still very organised as a result of the previous D&L - so dumping was VERY fast.

I think the moral of the story is: do a D&L "regularly" and it isn't so painful. ("Regularly" is rubbery, depending on volatility and many other factors - I think it is somewhere between every 4 months and 12 months.)

If you use Progress 9 you can do your D&L an Area at a time ... so you don't have to D&L the entire db at the one time. (We will move to Progress 9 in a few weeks time.)

The actual D&L procedure is well documented in Progress docs and Dan Foreman's books, etc. If you have trouble say so ... plenty of people can give you scripts and handy hints.

Ron.