Different language disp issue

manujmathew

I have a called program with hardcoded japanese labels.When i run this program from mfg.pro menu ,the output shows display of labels with junk characters,but if i save this program in the local path ,then i get correct display of japanese labels.what could be the reason?any solution for the same.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Different codepages in play? Not sure how to check this I'm afraid as I've only ever used the standard.

RealHeavyDude

Welcome to the world of internationalization. That is a code page issue. When you compile a procedure the compiler takes the current settings for code pages. There are several start up parameters for a session which all begin with -cp that let you control the behavior. The reason why you are seeing the junk characters is because the code page setting under which the procedure was compiled differs with your settings. As soon as you save (compile) it with you settings it might look fine again. But, there might still be an issue in that the original code page is not compatible with the one you are using. If they are, Progress will automatically do the conversion for you (the rules for that are stored in the infamous convmap.cp file in the installation directory).

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

willy

I assume we have an issue with .r codepage (utf-8) and session codepage (shift-jis).
If we compile in shift-jis then the .r will work (will not work in other databases.)
may be use database to store dataa

RealHeavyDude

Just to be clear: The code page that the database and the client (could be the AppServer, a development or run time session) use don't necessarily need to be the same, especially if the database uses unicode (UTF-8). If the code pages are not the same then they must either be compatible (share the the same character set but on different positions, for example iso8859-1 and imb850, Progress will automatically do the conversion for you) or you must roll your own conversion. When you look at a compile procedure running against a database there are possibly several different code page settings involved: The database, the run time session and the code page under which the .r file was compiled (which is relevant to all hard coded texts). In an ideal world they are all the same but sometimes they are not. At least the code page of the run time session and the one under which the .r file was compiled should be the same.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.