Question DB migration from one box to another

WorkInProgress

Progress Ver 9.1E

Q 1.) My progress installation path and DB's home dir and all DB area's are on either external storage or SAN. If i export all these External HDD and SAN from one server to another, will i be able to start mu DB from there without any issue? Will i need to do any kind of configuration for that?

Q 2). If i copy the installation dir of progress from one server to another, will it work or do i have to download progress executable and run "proinst"?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Progress Ver 9.1E

Q 1.) My progress installation path and DB's home dir and all DB area's are on either external storage or SAN. If i export all these External HDD and SAN from one server to another, will i be able to start mu DB from there without any issue? Will i need to do any kind of configuration for that?

I wouldn't recommend this method of moving a database but it should work. Make sure:
  • the structure file is up to date so you are getting all of the extents;
  • the database is offline when you do this;
  • You take a full backup of your database first, and verify it.
One of the reasons I wouldn't recommend your approach is that if you're going to do a backup and a restore anyway for verification purposes, you might as well use the backup and restore to copy the database from one box to the other.

Q 2). If i copy the installation dir of progress from one server to another, will it work or do i have to download progress executable and run "proinst"?

You don't need to re-run proinst. Just make sure your file ownerships and permissions remain the same on the new box.

One final note: what works, and what you are allowed to do based on your licenses, are two different things.

Final final note: You're doing a server migration but you're staying on 9.1E? Why not upgrade while you're at it? 9.1E is very old and barely supported.

WorkInProgress

Thanks for comments Rob. Actually its not migration, its 'B' plan. Plan 'A' is to restart the box (which may not come up :p) so we may have to 'shift' everything from one box to the other.

For this 'shifting' make work, do i also need to restart send box OS again? or just restarting WS and NS will do?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You have posted aspects of your situation to three different threads and frankly it's getting a little confusing. Also there's some scope creep here. It started as "how do I migrate a DB", which is a DB admin question, and now it's "how do I migrate my whole application", which is not.

See my post in your other DB admin thread for thoughts on why you should not reboot just yet. Every box has a last successful reboot at the end of its lifetime; yours may already be behind you.

Rebooting your WebSpeed box is unnecessary and also won't tell the WebSpeed agents where your DB has gone. You will need to configure it with the IP address or host name of the new DB server, as you did when you first set up WS.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
One more question here. If online backup takes 4 hrs, how much does offline backup will take? Any observations?

It's hard to say. Online backup also backs up the BI file; offline does not. If your BI is huge it could be a large difference. It also depends on I/O bandwidth and usage on the box. Are your disks idle when the DB is offline, and very busy when it's online? Then the difference is likely to be bigger than if the I/O workload is light or it's spread across multiple disks on a SAN. If you have taken a recent offline backup then check the duration from the time stamps in the DB log.

WorkInProgress

Sorry for the confusion Rob but i have created two different threads coz they are two different scenarios and two different boxes. The box and scenario discussed in this thread are for Production env. have a reboot planned.

The one in other thread (Can reboot machine while Db is killed?.) is a problem in test server which i am troubleshooting separately.

I am just caught in two Problems at the same time. Yes I did post this "test server problem" in my third thread, which i will delete now. (don't know if i can)

For this migration part, I am only responsible for DB and WS not for the whole app.