CRC Error

Hi Everybody,
Wanna know if CRC error will be thrown if we add a new field to an existing table. The scenario is like this: Few programs are there that refers to an existing table, say Table_1. Now i am adding a new field to Table_1, will CRC error been thrown when i execute the programs that refer to this table?

Also it would be of great help if you can point to few tutorials that explains this with examples.

Thanks in advance.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If you reference the tables directly and you don't compile them, yes.

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Did you understand the answer? Casper is saying that if you run uncompiled .p code, there will be no CRC issues ... but, of course, that is true no matter what kind of database changes you make since uncompiled code pays no attention to CRC. The rules for what does and does not cause a CRC error with *compiled* code have changed several times over the years, always in the direction of minimizing conflicts.

Still, the safe thing to do is to compile code so that you are sure that it is current.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Well, what I actually meant was that if you dont recompile the code then you will get CRC errors, unless you don't reference the tables direclty. (e.g. get the data through dynamic programming).

Casper.

Hi Tom/Casper,
I could get your point. I tried working out some examples in this regard and went through few notes provided in Progress Knowledge Base as well. Currently we are using Progress 10.1C version. Finally after discussing with the team here we came to the same conclusion that was highlighted by Tom in the quote that is provided below.

Still, the safe thing to do is to compile code so that you are sure that it is current.

Problem got resolved. Thanks!