Converting client server based application to Webbased application

Abbashatim

Dear All

We have client server based application running on the Progress 10.
We want to now change it web-based.
We had done some application on webspeed 10 years ago. Have Completely forgot how to do it.
Is there any other ways to do it.
Any help, suggestions or leads are most welcome.
Please contact abbas0306@yahoo.com
Our target time line is around 3 months.
Thank You
abbas

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You want to have a fully fledged web application in 3 months? It must be a very trivial system!
Personally I would avoid WebSpeed for this as it's not that efficient. I would look at upgrading to 11.5 and using the dotNet abilities built into Progress. Not that I haver the experience. It's what I would do.
But if you seriously want something that quickly you're going to need to get consultants in. Talk to my friends at Consultingwerk as a good starting point.

RealHeavyDude

A modern web application is HTML 5 and JavaScript. WebSpeed is just one way but there are lots of other ways. That is not to say that WebSpeed is not good - but with OpenClient technology ( for .NET and Java most prominently ) and several adapters ( WSA and REST most prominently ) to the AppServer you can have a Java or .NET based web application use the Progress OpenEdge business logic running on the AppServer.

We are in the process of migrating one application that uses a classic Progress GUI ( prowin32.exe ) and the classic AppServer to a web applicaiton. The architecture will use Java as proxy to the business logic running on the AppServer and HTML 5 some widely used JavaScript frameworks, most prominently AngularJS, for the frontend.

For sure this is not _THE_ way to go - just one way that is natural for us as we already have this setup in many other projects that have their business logic implemented in Java and use Oracle databases and these are the approved technologies in our technology stack.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.