Compile Preprocess issue...

DevTeam

Hi,

I am facing kind of a problem when I compile this following code with the PREPROCESS option :
Code:
DEF VAR maVar AS CHAR NO-UNDO.
maVar  = "Ex : "" `abc` "" = "" `ghi` "" ... ".
DISP maVar FORMAT "x(40)".

The syntax is correctly checked, and the execution result is : [Ex : " `abc` " = " `ghi` " ...] (brackets aren't part of the result).

However, the resulting file of compiling preprocess contains the following :
Code:
DEF VAR maVar  AS CHAR NO-UNDO.
maVar  = "Ex : " `abc` " = " `ghi` " ... ".
DISP maVar FORMAT "x(40)".

As you can see, the syntax isn't correct anymore... The PREPROCESS seems to misunderstand the use of 2 double quotes into a quoted character string.

Is that a known issue ? I know a workaround could be found through the use of the tilde character but I wanted to know if someone had had the same problem.

For information, I am running on OpenEdge 10.1C.

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Yeah this type of errors occured to me also. Actaully we should be very carefull when using the double and single quotes.

I think you can try some of the things like, passing the character var (combination of both double and single quotes) to a doti and fetch the same thing to display the result.

Stefan

I'm running into exactly the same issue (with 10.2B04). I'm preprocessing a file (and then stripping comments) and then getting the MD5 of it to see if there are any relevant changes.

Did you log this is a bug with Progress Tech Support?

Code:
MESSAGE "Oops"" preprocessed file does not compile ":U VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.