Question communication between sessions

jmac13

Hi All,

I'm using 10.2b but I've got client thats also on 10.1c :(.

I've got a program that automates our db upgrade procedure . Its a got a browse in with some records to show where its up to. The problem I have is a lot of these tasks fire an os command to say backup the db or run another session to do something else. The program with the browse will then go into not responding because its waiting to get control back after the os-command or firing of the new session. is there a way to communication between sessions that inst a table in a db. I want to say fire an event from session X and session Y go ok fine I'll move onto the next task.

That way my browse program can just wait nicely rather than going into a white screen.

thanks in advance.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You could use batch files that pop a file in a temp directory when they complete. Pop the ps-timer on the browse screen and poll the location from time to time until the file is found.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You could probably come up with something. Maybe using sockets or something, but it would take a lot of work :)

jmac13

scrap that tom I've got an example.. plus I think I'm going to do as Cringer said thanks both for help