Combo-Box Return Capture

MrMoo

Hello,

I am pretty new to Progress, and have been trying to learn by getting my hands dirty. I have been basically taking some old code and modifying it to understand what it is doing. I have taken a program and modified it slightly to incorporate a combo box. I hard coded in the option at this point but in the future will pull from a table. Anyways, I found that if I set the combo box as the last option on my form before the Output and Batch ID fields (which I believe come from wbrp01.i) I hit enter and the combo-box does nothing, so after lookign around on here I found out how to capture the Enter/return on my combo-box but now I am not sure how to send the enter command back to the frame so that I will arrive at the Output field. I can hit 'F1' and arrive at the Output field from the combo-box and I suppose I could ask end users in the future to hit F1 but I don't feel that is the best solution and in no way helps me grow in progress. I thought maybe I could use SendKey or SendMessage to the frame or form to overcome this when the user hits enter from the combo-box but have not found any good explanations of how to use SendMessage, I can supply code if needed but decided not to at this point because I really only need an explanation of how SendMessage works and what it's inputs should be.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Hello,

I am pretty new to Progress, and have been trying to learn by getting my hands dirty. I have been basically taking some old code and modifying it to understand what it is doing. I have taken a program and modified it slightly to incorporate a combo box. I hard coded in the option at this point but in the future will pull from a table. Anyways, I found that if I set the combo box as the last option on my form before the Output and Batch ID fields (which I believe come from wbrp01.i) I hit enter and the combo-box does nothing, so after lookign around on here I found out how to capture the Enter/return on my combo-box but now I am not sure how to send the enter command back to the frame so that I will arrive at the Output field. I can hit 'F1' and arrive at the Output field from the combo-box and I suppose I could ask end users in the future to hit F1 but I don't feel that is the best solution and in no way helps me grow in progress. I thought maybe I could use SendKey or SendMessage to the frame or form to overcome this when the user hits enter from the combo-box but have not found any good explanations of how to use SendMessage, I can supply code if needed but decided not to at this point because I really only need an explanation of how SendMessage works and what it's inputs should be.

hi MrMoo,

take a look at the apply statement in your editor help.

for example -

Code:
/* added behavior */

on "return" of cCombo /* in <some frame> */ do:

apply "go" /* to <some widget> */ .

end.

now that you're starting to get the hang of it i recommend having a look at the relevant chapters in the programming handbook. and feel free to ask any questions. hth

MrMoo

Hey Joey,

Thanks alot for the Apply "Go" to Widget it worked like a charm, in all of the documentation I read it didn't give a good example of how to use GO and nothing I saw used 'Apply "Go"'. I have a couple of manuals here that I have been looking through to understand the table relations, the syntax, etc. Something I can't easily find examples in the book but then I started looking around on here and I found quite a bit of information.

Thanks again,

MrMoo

hi MrMoo,

take a look at the apply statement in your editor help.

for example -

Code:
/* added behavior */

on "return" of cCombo /* in <some frame> */ do:

apply "go" /* to <some widget> */ .

end.

now that you're starting to get the hang of it i recommend having a look at the relevant chapters in the programming handbook. and feel free to ask any questions. hth