Question Can we SQL Stored Procedure to do custom batch process ?

Krist

Dear All,

We are implementing QAD EE 2013. Reading the documentation about the progress database used by QAD, I find that it can be accessed using the native Progress language, but also we can access the database using SQL standard command.

The question is, can we create SQL Stored Procedure (like we usually did with Oracle / SQL Server) to read the data from the application tables than insert/update into our custom table ?
(we need this custom table for further reporting need and we are familiar more with SQL approach than progress language)

Many thanks for your help,
Krist

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes, you can access a Progress database with a SQL client, given prior appropriate configuration of the database broker startup parameters and user security and permissions. It is also possible to create stored procedures.

However, you would really be best served by not trying to treat the DB like it's Oracle or SQL Server. Learn ABL (Advanced Business Language, aka 4GL). I know you don't want to hear that; I didn't when I started with Progress and was given the same advice. But if you follow this advice you will ultimately be happier, more capable, and more productive.

The docs are your friends; download them for your Progress version here: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-16074

Further info on SQL-92 support in Progress OpenEdge is in the SQL Reference and SQL Development manuals in the documentation set. Also an online knowledge base is available at http://knowledgebase.progress.com, as is a downloadable Windows-based knowledge base app for offline use.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Also be aware that if you use SQL then the database triggers will not fire. I don't know much about QAD, but I'd be surprised if triggers weren't in use.

Krist

Hi Rob,
Really thank you for your help to show me the better path to go .. (..uhmm ..whether like it or not..)
and thanks for the resources you share for me to do the explore.

Aniway.. still curions, could you please kindly elaborate more :

- Why going with ABL 4GL will make us happier, more capable, and more productive when using Progress ?

- If so, in what cases SQL-92 support in Progress will be a good option to use ?

Many thanks,
Krist