Can we connect to Sqlite Database from Progress?

_uJJwAL_

My Greetings,

I was wondering if I could connect to the Sqllite Database from Progress or may be there is some tools to do the migration from progress DB to Sqlite?

Thanks,
Ujjwal

durkadurka

No progress don't let u connect to non-openedge database silly lol. Only raeson language exist is for talking w/ openedge database!!!
Maybe u could using sockets from porgress to connect to db like riak or couchdb, who come with rest-ful interface??

Y u want to downgrade to sqlite ne way? Openedge is da best database of all tiem brother

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Contrary to the info from our rash friend, PSC *does* sell several DataServer products which support non-OpenEdge databases. One of these, as I recall, is a kind of generic ODBC, but I don't know which specific products it supports.

Which said, use of a non-Progress database is non-trivial as other databases do things in different ways. AFAIR, there is a manual or whitepaper on issues to consider is adjusting the code. There is a tool that is part of the DataServer for migrating the schema, but if you poke around a bit you will find that it is just a first cut and needs adjusting in a variety of ways. One example, OpenEdge character fields are variable width while some databases have fixed width and/or fixed upper bound. The "guess" for this width is based on the display format defined in the schema, but that display format may not match the actual data, so it behooves one to use proutil to adjust the SQLWIDTH before starting.

What do you mean by "migration". If you mean running the Progress ABL code against a SQLLite DB, I would reconsider. Even if possible, it is likely to come to grief as SQLLite is not really a comparable product. If you mean migrating the application, good luck as you must have a very trivial Progress application.