Can PROMON be run using parameters?

I know how to run PROMON and disconnect a user.
Is it possible to run PROMON and send it parameters to do the same thing so that it can run non-interactive?

Yup - You should be able to read from a standard file and redirect output to a standard file.

On Unix it would be comething like

promon dbname < commands.file > Log.file

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi Bruce,

There is a KB article about this (KB P16007):

http://tinyurl.com/93sd8

I don't know what OS you're on, this is for Unix.
Basically you feed promon with the gather.answers file with the appropriate options in it, the first thing which is done is changing the display format so output can be redirected to a file. Just look at the options given in the example and make a gather.answers file for your specific situation.

HTH,

Casper.

versions

I'm on AIX Unix 5.0, running Progress 9.1D. I work with Promon a lot. I didn't know I could get infomation out of it like that and wondered if its documented in Progress books.

Bruce

Promon Info with scripts

hey casper, that was cool.
I'm on an IBM AIX Unix box.
That method works great, however, when I run my scripts from the unix prompt all the output still goes to the screen. I put an & at the end of my line, to run it in the back ground, but I still get data to my screen. I want to run it as part of my backup script but I don't want the same data repeated in the back logs. The backup script is run by cron and its output is piped to a log file, too. Is there a way to have the promon data only directed to the file specified?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You need to redirect the output. This article explains the scripting:

http://www.greenfieldtech.com/articles/monitoring_your_database.shtml

Also - sometimes some PROMON output goes to stderr instead of stdout. That's what the:

2> /dev/null

in the scripts is handling. Mostly that's the prompts & menus
but occasionally you might come across a bug where something
that you really wanted to capture ends is in the error stream
rather than the output.