Can flash objects be embeded in progress

dayv2005

I know this is more of an api question but i'm just wondering if it is possible to embed flash objects into progress. Im currently using 9.1d i didn't know if this was possible or not. And i was just looking for an answere on this.

Also if it can is there any disadvantages in using them with UI?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
you could drop flash objects into a progress frame, like, a banner that plays ads and nothing else.

but i'd bet you're looking how to make flash and progress work, interact etc. together, right ?

even better write the ui in flash, using flex and open the progress business logic as web services.

dayv2005

you could drop flash objects into a progress frame, like, a banner that plays ads and nothing else.

but i'd bet you're looking how to make flash and progress work, interact etc. together, right ?

even better write the ui in flash, using flex and open the progress business logic as web services.

Yeah that's what i was looking to do. Hmm interesting i might have to give that a thought

boyong

I havent done this myself but you might want to explore the "FSCOMMAND" function in flash. Im pretty sure you can also access this as a method in OE. "FSCOMMAND" passes arguments (command and args as strings). From there you can evaluate the passed arguments in OE

I know this is more of an api question but i'm just wondering if it is possible to embed flash objects into progress. Im currently using 9.1d i didn't know if this was possible or not. And i was just looking for an answere on this.

Also if it can is there any disadvantages in using them with UI?

It's quite easy to do - just drop the webbrowser ocx onto your window, and programmatically navigate to the swf file (or html file that launches it).

It doesn't appear to work with Windows 98 (or IE 5, not sure which), and there may be security issues with the underlying browser, but interactive flash generally works fine for me using this method on XP SP2 9.1d07.

dayv2005

It's quite easy to do - just drop the webbrowser ocx onto your window, and programmatically navigate to the swf file (or html file that launches it).

It doesn't appear to work with Windows 98 (or IE 5, not sure which), and there may be security issues with the underlying browser, but interactive flash generally works fine for me using this method on XP SP2 9.1d07.

Now being that this flash object is in a web browser container, does that mean that you can use actionscript and everything still has the same functionality as if i were to put it in with any other browser?

Now being that this flash object is in a web browser container, does that mean that you can use actionscript and everything still has the same functionality as if i were to put it in with any other browser?

I would guess so, given that ActionScript (in my limited understanding) compiles to an swf file, and the webbrowser ocx is an Internet Explorer component that renders web files.

The limitations (other than previously stated) might be that the ocx, being a little old (IE6?), may not handle your most up to date script files. I have also heard there may be some problems when IE7 is installed (ocx removed?).

However, like I said it works fine for me on swf files generated by my Flash creator program on my system (with IE7 installed).

But I don't program in ActionScript, so can't test this for you.