Auditreconfig Utility

cj_brandt

Linux - Red Hat 6.7
OE 11.5.1 - 64 bit

Has anyone used the auditreconfig utility ?

We use auditing on several large databases. We occasionally have a data fix or bug in a program that would generate 40 GB or more of audit data. After the audit data is archived, we are left with large amounts of wasted space in the audit area. These databases are copied from prod to other environments so the wasted space is now in multiple environments with no way to remove the empty audit extents.

auditreconfig seemed to be the answer - move the audit data to a new SA and then remove the extents from the old audit area. This doesn't seem to work though because auditreconfig doesn't lower the HWM of the old audit area and truncate area doesn't work on the old audit area - claiming there are still system objects in the area.

Before I spend much more time looking at this, I am wondering if there are others that have been using this utility successfully.

TheMadDBA

What tables is it complaining about after the auditreconfig?

Did you move the audit table and the audit indexes to different areas?

cj_brandt

My problem was that I didn't specify the indexarea on the initial auditreconfig command. Because tables and indexes were in the same SA and they were both going to the same new SA, I didn't specify the indexarea in the command.

After the first command was run incorrectly, I could not get the indexes out of the original area.

When specifying the table and index area and the command worked. I then removed one of the extents from the original audit area and tried to move the audit tables back to the original audit area and the database bombed with a SYSTEM ERROR about missing the blocks from the extent I had just removed. Odd.

Last edited: