Question Any PL viewer availabe

PDECODE

WinPL doesn't support V11, if i have free time i add support for it...
There is also plugin for Total Commander (read-only, search, view, extract, action) with V11 support
(all on same web)

progdev1

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but I assume you are aware you can use the following from both Unix and Windows prompt.
Code:
prolib myplfile.pl  -list
This gives a very good listing of each file. Also one thing to make sure of which I happened in a previous company I worked for, make sure you/your colleagues don't copy pl files generated in windows to Unix and vice versa when doing a deployment as unsurprisingly they don't work.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Also one thing to make sure of which I happened in a previous company I worked for, make sure you/your colleagues don't copy pl files generated in windows to Unix and vice versa when doing a deployment as unsurprisingly they don't work.
Good point about prolib -list.

PLs might or might not work cross-platform. It depends on your code and your Progress version.

progdev1

Good point about prolib -list.
PLs might or might not work cross-platform. It depends on your code and your Progress version.
Okay, I didn't know that. In a company I worked for we had this problem cross platform problem on one release and it took quite a while to detect it. I was putting it out there in case the Original Poster was having problems with their PL file. But good point.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Between 10.1A (I believe) and 10.2B there were different compiler version strings put in the r-code by the 32-bit and 64-bit compilers.

As of 11.0 the version strings are the same. But there are still some gotchas for cross-platform compatibility, e.g. taking dependencies on $DLC/tty or $DLC/gui code, the use of the {&WINDOW-SYSTEM} pre-processor, the indiscriminate use OS-COMMAND (and other OS-* commands), shared libraries and DLLs, .NET integration, etc. etc.

But if you write "pure" ABL without such dependencies, you can in theory build it once and deploy it cross-platform in 11.0+.

Stefan

We deploy cross-platform 10.2B / 10.2Bx64, 11.2.1, 11.4. r-code is compiled with _progres.exe and packaged into a pl on Windows, deployment on Windows and *nix.

Interestingly the last cross platform issue we had was not Windows / *nix but AIX vs Linux (hosthame -f vs hostname).
The one before that was Windows vs Windows x64 (Windows API DLL calls).

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
The prolib -list command is even more useful when you pipe the output to a text file, particularly for big pls.