Alternatives To Progress...

Hi all,

Somewhat off topic but.....

Just wondering if anyone has done any research into alternative development environments to Progress.

Been a Progress Developer for 8 years now. Have been approached to do a job outside of work but my initial enquiries into the cost of a developer license (EUR6300 + VAT) are a bit discouraging to say the least. I've factored in the cost of End-User licenses to my costings but the Development license would more than consume any profit I would make from the project.

I'm looking around for other methodoligies for delivering DB-backed applications with some of the speed that Progress can provide. I've some experience of PHP and MySQL for developing dynamic websites but I'm looking to develop a Windows-based touchscreen application.

Any pointers/leads from other people who may have considered a move-away from Progress would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Paul.

lord_icon

Tut Tut Tut

Not on requesting outside info.(PSC rules)
There is of course the obvious of M$ which also now leans towards PSC flava. The Data Dynamic / or is it Dynamic Data 2 product. It uses a PSC DB, though alows the front end to be conected more simply. This enables M$ VB / Java Script products and so on.
Personal point though stick with PSC, with SoniQ products it IS THE answer!!!

Great Toolset but what about the smaller guy!

lord_icon,

Not for one second questioning the Progress Toolset.
I can genuinely say that I think that Progress offer excellent products. I'm not aware of any other product which offers the same ease and speed to develop database-backended apps.

I can't even say I have a major gripe with the price, I suppose you get what you pay for but I think that Progress is only really viable for the Enterprise. Just wondering what are the alternatives for a smaller project (and a smaller budget).

Paul.

John Nebi

pauloconnor said:
lord_icon,

I suppose you get what you pay for but I think that Progress is only really viable for the Enterprise. Just wondering what are the alternatives for a smaller project (and a smaller budget).

Paul.

How ironic. The complaint used to be that it wasn't "Enterprise". Guess you can't win, huh? :)

luebbert

shhhhh!

Don't tell anyone that you saw it here (PSC rules???), but you can develop .NET applications with a *free* embedded MSDE database using a *free* SDK from Microsoft.

Search for: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Software Development Kit