After imaging with AI-extent on another computer

light

I'm trying to make up the After Imaging on a Progress 9.1d database under Win NT. A have added an AI-area to a datebase (one variable length AI-extent) disposed on another than the DB computer:

prostrct add tmpdb ai.st.

ai.st contains the ai-extent description:

a \\hostname\ai.

Then I have started the AI:

rfutil tmpdb -C aimage begin.

But when I try to start DB server using Procontrol, a get following error:

** Cannot find or open file \\hostname\ai\tmpdb.a1, errno = 5. (43)

"\\hostname\ai\tmpdb.a1" really exists (it was created by "prostrct add" command). "\\hostname\ai\" directory is shared for everyone's full control.

When AI-file is located at the same computer where the database error does not appear.

How this problem can be solved?

richard_thorp

OK, errno=5 is permissions. Check who the PROSERVICE is started by.

The other machine may have full permissions, but PROSERVICE may be owned by "LocalSystem" on the other machine, and that user is not covered by "everyone". Start PROSERVICE as a user, and it should work.

KB#17936 may help.

However, are you *really* sure you want to do this? Really? Adding network issues into ai? Hmmm. This'll hammer both reliability and performance imho. You are also entering a grey area with licencing if you ever install progress on the other server if the main server goes down and you restore your backup.

If you want fault-tolerance/warm/hot spare on another machine - I'd be tempted to
a) Keep swapping ai extents and copy full ones onto the backup machine
-or-
b) Pop in some replication triggers
-or-
c) Pop in a product such as Fathom/Replication.

light said:
I'm trying to make up the After Imaging on a Progress 9.1d database under Win NT. A have added an AI-area to a datebase (one variable length AI-extent) disposed on another than the DB computer:

prostrct add tmpdb ai.st.

ai.st contains the ai-extent description:

a \\hostname\ai.

Then I have started the AI:

rfutil tmpdb -C aimage begin.

But when I try to start DB server using Procontrol, a get following error:

** Cannot find or open file \\hostname\ai\tmpdb.a1, errno = 5. (43)

"\\hostname\ai\tmpdb.a1" really exists (it was created by "prostrct add" command). "\\hostname\ai\" directory is shared for everyone's full control.

When AI-file is located at the same computer where the database error does not appear.

How this problem can be solved?