ActiveX License problem - VB .NET

Don Carlson

I am in the process of creating a new app which utilizes 3 of the controls found in MSCOMCTL.OCX. When I deploy the app, I get the same error that others have received "Unable to create control, etc., etc." Most of the posts instruct developers to install Microsoft Visual Basic and some have pointed specifically to VB6.0.

My question is: Does anyone know if the new VB .NET Standard has a development license for the MSCOMCTL.OCX controls? Or do I have to get VB 6.0?

Thanks in advance!

Don Carlson, Programmer
Computer Software Associates, Inc.

P.S. Microsoft Sales says the only way to get the controls is by purchasing Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect for a mere $2,300! Thanks but no thanks . . . .

xasp

I might be far off base here, but I thought it was enough to copy your mscomctl.ocx to the client machine and execute a "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx" on it ... (at least, that's how I solve it...).

Don Carlson

That will work *IF* the machine that you originally wrote the app on has a development license for the controls. You can then deploy the app, register the OCX file exactly as you have stated, and it works. However, if you do not have a development license for the controls, registering them has no effect.

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Don Carlson, Programmer

Originally posted by xasp
I might be far off base here, but I thought it was enough to copy your mscomctl.ocx to the client machine and execute a "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx" on it ... (at least, that's how I solve it...).

bendaluz2

Do you have comctl32.ocx installed and regsvr'd, because I think mscomctl.ocx is dependant on this. Try the following in a dos box

regsvr32.exe /u c:\windows\system\mscomctl.ocx
regsvr32.exe /u c:\windows\system\comctl32.ocx
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system\comctl32.ocx
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system\mscomctl.ocx

I have had problems with registering mscomctl.ocx when deploying my app, but this seems to cure it in every case encountered so far.

Hope this helps :)

Don Carlson

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, but to no avail. Same error came up.

Can I ask you if you have any of the Microsoft ADE's on your system? (VB,VC,VS, FrontPage, etc.)

Seems like everyone has a different experience with this error and it's remedy!

Thanks again!

Don Carlson, Programmer

Originally posted by bendaluz2
Do you have comctl32.ocx installed and regsvr'd, because I think mscomctl.ocx is dependant on this. Try the following in a dos box

regsvr32.exe /u c:\windows\system\mscomctl.ocx
regsvr32.exe /u c:\windows\system\comctl32.ocx
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system\comctl32.ocx
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system\mscomctl.ocx

I have had problems with registering mscomctl.ocx when deploying my app, but this seems to cure it in every case encountered so far.

Hope this helps :)

bendaluz2

I dont have any other development environment on my machine. It is just the base installation of win98 that comes with a Compaq pc, with some Office 97 components (Access, Word, Excel and Powerpoint).

rjsen

.NET has a EXTRAS\VB6 CONTROLS on the .NET cd where you find VB6CONTROLS.REG. From Readme.txt file:

Extras\VB6 Controls

This directory contains the Visual Basic 6.0 dbgrid32.ocx control and a registry file containing licensing info for all other VB 6.0 controls.

To use Visual Basic 6.0 controls in Visual Basic.NET, you can install them from a VB 6.0 CD or you can copy the files to your machine from a machine that has VB 6.0 installed.

The registry file VB6Controls.reg contains the design time licenses for all of the controls. You can register the controls by merging the .reg into your registryusing RegEdit.exe.