ABL roadmap

DevTeam

Hi,

I have searched the online resources on Progress website concerning the expected new features of OpenEdge 10.2 and I could not find anything about it.

Have some of you been to the Progress Exchange 2007 and have some information about it (for instance : a summary of what was said while the "INNOV-9" session) ?

Thanks in advance of any help provided.

Julien

DevTeam

Thanks Casper,

Unfortunately, the first link points to Exchange 2006 documents, and the second one to Exchange 2007 ones.... that have been made unavailable.

Gosh !

If ever you come to Paris on June, I would be pleased to get your summary of it !

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
For me the first link points to al the presentations from Exchange 2007...
:confused:

And the second one is a search @psdn with 10.2A.....

I don't undertand what you see.... :)

Casper.

PS I go to Paris, but all the presentations should become available to the community as well. (provided there isn't some secret mechanism which recongnises non attendants and points them to presentations from a year earlier :awink:)

DevTeam

Sorry to bring this post back to life, but has anyone information about implementation in ABL of concepts such as staticness and abstract classes ?

Thanks in advance.

Julien

DevTeam

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunatelly, I haven't tried the 10.1C release yet.

What do you mean by "some aspects" ??? How would it be feasible to implement only part of it ?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Unfortunately, I can't tell you in detail since I was excluded from the beta program and I have a PSDN SDK subscription and thus have to wait until Sonic 7.6 is released before I will get 10.1C. It is just something I have heard vaguely referred to. But, the manuals should be up on line if you want to know right away.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
PSC has this bizarre idea that beta programs should be run as a top secret project that can only be accessed by a select few who promise not to divulge anything.

Their latest excuse (they come up with a new one every few years) is that the SEC makes them do this. (Apparently Google, Microsoft, Oracle and so forth haven't got the memo yet...)

The results of this "thinking" are all to obvious :rolleyes:

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Tom's perennial unhappiness about NDA's aside, I was a very active member of both the 10.1A and 10.1B betas, but when it came to the 10.1C beta they decided that they had too many applicants and they should allow in some "fresh blood". Now, frankly I think the idea of "too many" is pretty bizarre when one is talking about the number of people who participate in a PSC beta. The additional costs of media and support are so nominal compared to the need to get feedback. Indeed, the real problem with betas has been getting people to actually do anything meaningful once they sign up. Thus, I find it particularly absurd to exclude someone who has been one of the few who has been quite active about both using the beta and providing feedback.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
NDAs are just a canary in the coal mine of a self-absorbed, navel focused marketing culture. Limiting beta programs, and refusing to disclose road-maps are just more symptoms of the dysfunction.

If Steve Jobs were running the place it might be excusable.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Back when I used to waste my time on PSC's beta programs I was especially amused to note the time that all of my feedback was returned to me in the form of an issue log which just happened to embed the date in the issue number. That date clearly showed that the product manager hadn't entered any of the issues until after the freeze date.

I have no reason to think that anything has changed and so long as the process remains limited and secretive I'll not be wasting any time on it.

DevTeam

I am currently testing the 10.1C release, and STATIC and FINAL features are indeed implemented. Cool !

However, I would like to discuss a bit on the new feature "instantiation as a parameter". It seems now to be possible to pass a "NEW myClass()" as a parameter. But, as there is no garbage collection, how should this reference be destroyed, and by who ? The calling class can't (the reference isn't kept in a variable), and the called should not (as it did not create the object, it can't decide to destroy it)...

EDIT : well, I seem to be the only one shocked...