ABL - Excel Import

Radley1303

Progress 9.1E Appserver

Hi All,

I have an automated program that takes MS Excel XLS files as input, reads the data from the XLS and populates some db tables. The problem I am having is that some of the XLS files are password protected (they are supplied via an external source) - in this instance I just want to flag up to a log file that they can't be read.

<code snippet>

CREATE "Excel.Application" chExcelApp.
chExcelApp:VISIBLE = NO.
chWorkbook = chExcelApp:Workbooks:OPEN(pi_cImportFile) NO-ERROR.
IF ERROR-STATUS:ERROR THEN
[send error to log file etc]
ELSE chWorkSheet = chExcelApp:Sheets:ITEM(1).

</code snippet>

The NO-ERROR isn't working as Excel pops up prompting for a password. If I don't enter a valid password I get 'Error Occurred while accessing component property/method : Sheets' etc. Is there anyway before I do the OPEN that I can check if the XLS is protected ? Something like :

IF chExcelApp:Workbooks:pROTECTED(pi_cImportFile) THEN... ???

As always, thanks in advance.

Radley1303

Thanks for the info Scleameth - have just put that code before the OPEN as suggested but Excel still pops up with an 'Data.xls is Protected' / Password box - grrrr !

Scleameth

nasty !
and if you try this :
chWorkbook = chExcelApp:Workbooks:OPEN(pi_cImportFile,,FALSE) NO-ERROR.

??
If not that, then - I suppose I don't have the answer, sorry

Edit: I just checked some code, but even if I include all security that Excel allows me, I don't get an error in the line:
chWorkSheet = chExcelApp:Sheets:ITEM(1).
I only get errors when trying to write to it. But what about :
chWorkSheet = chExcelApp:Sheets:ITEM(1) NO-ERROR.
and then handling the error after that statement ?

jdgibson

You could try passing in an empty string password which is the 5th parameter to the open method.

Instead of checking error status try checking if the workbook handle is a valid handle which it won't be if the workbook hasn't opened

Radley1303

My sincere thanks go to jdgibson & Scleameth for their help - passing in a blank password string (5th param of OPEN method) and then checking if the handle to the workbook is valid worked a treat. Cheers again you guys !

One happy programmer...