9.1c to Open Edge 10.0

PJan8724

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find some information about upgrading from Progress 9.1c to Open Edge 10.0b I think is the latest version. I've done some research on the KB but there doesn't seem to be any helpful information with in the KB that will tell me what I should look out for or need to be aware of in regards to upgrading my 9.1c database to an Open Edge 10.0 database. My company is considering upgrading and I need to find out all of the informaton that I can so that I'm aware of any problems that we might have and I can inform management of any problems they should be aware of. Can anyone please point me in the right direction so that I can get a good idea of what to expect?

Thanks,

Pete J.

lord_icon

Prowin 32 is basically the same, just a few adhancements to take advantage of the new features in O E 10. The ADM has changed slightly AGAIN, though it is still ADM 2, it just takes advantage of the new language facilities. I have no experience of non-Windows O E 10, though it is essentially the same it just takes advantage of the new O E 10 language features.

Do not worry, PSC know what they are doing, it is all compatiable. PSC know what they are doing, long live PSC and PRGS (Open Edge).
Progress for Tomorrow, TODAY.

ss_kiran

Hello,
I found this Microsoft on the Internet addressing migration to PROGRESS version 10, Find attached the same and hope this helps.

Thanks and regards
Kiran Shankar

Attachments

• openedge_10_technical_migration.zip
    540.7 KB · Views: 57

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Just upgrading the database is easy. You just do a conv910 (about 5 minutes) or a dump & load (depends on how much data you have -- maybe a few minutes maybe a couple of days...) Piece of cake and not much to worry about insofar as the database conversion goes. (To really leverage the new version you need to step back and do some planning with regards to storage area configuration. That's a good thing to do but whether or not you need to do it depends on your reasons for upgrading in the first place...)

Upgrading the application may, or may not, be easy. Among other things it depends on:

• Is it a vendor supported or home-grown app?
  • Do you have source code?
  • Is it GUI or ChUI?
If you have source, don't care what the vendor thinks and live in a ChUI world then it's pretty darned straight-forward. If any of those things aren't true then it might get a lot more complicated...