10.1B Silent Installation

microedgenh

Hello. I need to create an automated installation for my customers. I have been attempting to run a silent installation. I was successful in recording the install and have a .ini file as well as an .iss file. However, no matter the syntax I try, it doesn't work. I get the installation to start but when I get to the page where the serial numbers, etc. go, nothing is filled in and I can't get past that page. My understanding of the silent install was that all this information would be filled in from the .ini file. My install directory is called Progress101B and is on the C drive and is the unzipped oe101b_nt.zip from the website. Thank you, Ann.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Your on windows right?

How do you record the repsonse file?

You should do:
Code:
[LEFT]<path-to-install-media>\setup.exe -psc_r -psc_f1=\<path>\response-file-name[/LEFT]

to record the response file and:

Code:
[LEFT]<path-to-install-media>\setup.exe -psc_s -psc_f1=<path>\<response-file-name> -psc_f2=<path>\<logfile-name>[/LEFT]

To run it.

Did you do it this way. Cause it seems your using an older way of creating your response file (iss stuff)

Casper.

microedgenh

I'm not sure what happened the first time, I have been using a lot of articles from the KB. However, I just tried recording the install via your instructions and it worked. I now have an install.ini file. Can you tell me what the command is to run the silent install from that install.ini? I tried c:\progress101b\setup.exe -psc_s -psc_f1=c:\install.ini but that did not work, it starts the install but then closes. Thanks, Ann.

Casper

Staff member
Are you sure it closes. Because the silent install minimises to the task bar. If you want to know what went wrong, enter the -psc_f2=.... this is the logfile. If any error occurs it is logged in this file as well. Errors are logged in there.
If you don't use this then the logfile is written to the windows directory. So maybe you could look there for a log file to find out what went wrong.

Casper.

microedgenh

Yes, it minimizes and then closes. Here is the log file and at the end it says installation aborted. Now, I am trying this again from the same machine I installed it on but I was thinking if that were a problem the error would reflect that and it doesn't. Ann.

[Installshield]
Version=7.1.100.1242
[Application]
Name=OpenEdge
Version=10.1B
Company=Progress Software
[CompletedEvents]
Event1=[1-29-2008 17:10:05] Checking for OpenEdge programs and or processes in use .......
Event2=[1-29-2008 17:10:05] The Setup Utility has checked the system requirements.
Event3=[1-29-2008 17:10:05] The Setup Utility has copied the support files.
Event4=[1-29-2008 17:10:05] The Setup Utility has created the config file.
Event5=[1-29-2008 17:10:06] The Setup Utility is extracting archives
[RuntimeStatus]
Progress=1
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=-1
ResultDescription=Installation aborted.

Casper

Staff member
Now, I am trying this again from the same machine I installed it on but I was thinking if that were a problem the error would reflect that and it doesn't. Ann.

Well, if you haven't uninstalled it then the reponse file isn't correct anymore because you get additional questions if OpenEdge is already installed.

Casper

microedgenh

Thank you so much, it just worked. The second time I tried to install it and it didn't work, it created a second install.ini file. So, I uninstalled Progress and ran the silent install and it ran great. Thank you so much for your help. Ann.

Herve

Hello,

I'm new on this forum. I had the same problem as Ann, but it is fixed now with your help.
But, I still have a problem:
This command line is working (local path):

C:\Temp\Sources\setup.exe -psc_s -psc_f1=C:\Temp\Sources\response.ini -psc_f2=c:\temp\setup_progress.log

But this one is no working:

"\\network path\setup.exe" -psc_s -psc_f1="\\network path\response.ini" -psc_f2=c:\temp\setup_progress.log

In fact, the install starts, but stops immediatly. It gives me that log:
[Installshield]
Version=7.1.100.1242
[Application]
Name=OpenEdge
Version=10.1B
Company=Progress Software
[CompletedEvents]
Event1=[10-17-2008 10:41:40] The Setup Utility has checked the system requirements.

And then, nothing...
The only difference I see beetween the two cm line are the "".

Any idea how I can fix it?

Thank you in advance, regards, Herve, Geneva.

Nic

Hi all. What I found out is that you have to have v1.1 .net framework installed for the silent install to work. You guys are typing the right commands, it's just that the required .net framework isn't installed so it aborts. I added the .net framework and the openedge silent installs to a batch file so that .net is installed first. Hope this helps.

Nic