Upgrade V8.3 -> V9.1

Rhonda_Rocket

Hi Guys,

I am a relative newcomer to the Progress environment and have been given a task which I find quite frightening!

My task is to upgrade from V8.3 to V9.1.

My problem is I don't even know where to start.

These are the things I am unsure about and I would love it if somebody out there with some experience with an upgrade could maybe help out with a plan.

Couple of associated questions....

1) How to convert the DB. Do I need to take a copy of the V8 database and convert that to V9 somehow?

2) Is there any functionality in V8 that isn't compatible with V9? i.e. will my V8 GUI app still run against the V9 database once it's recompiled? I know you experienced guys will eat this up, but I have only been using Progress for 6 months, and don't know much about DBA stuff.

All help greatly appreciated.

TIA
Rhonda

NickA

To create the V9 DB I'd dump data/definitions from V8 using 'Data Administration', then create a blank V9 database and load the resulting .df and .d's in.

That might not be the best way of doing it, but it does the job.

Problems I've had going V8->V9 code were minimal: Some Smartobject problems, multiple-select browses behaving _slightly_ differently, different default font in browses resulting in slightly less screen area taken up by the columns inside the browse.

Nothing major though, it pretty much worked without modification.

Hope this helps.