Transfer Object / File / Record without saving to harddisc

Jochen0911

Hello,

I wrote a webservice and receive a dataset. This dataset contains a temp-table.

The app server runs on a linux machine and receive data from a webservice. I want to call an external queue on a windows machine. I cannot pass the dataset or the temp-table as a parameter, because, i cannot use a parameter to start a job program in that software architecture environment.

The current solution is to save temp-table as a XML and start a job with filename as parameter and read it on the windows machine to the temp-table back.

We have about 12.000 files a day and to save and read that xml is a performance leak and is also error-prone.

I thought about to save the xml into a blob datatype field and use it on the windows machine, but therefore i also have to save the xml to file and read it into the blob field.

Another variante i´am thinking about is to save dataset or XML into a raw datatype field.

What is the best way, to handle that issue?

In this case, there is also the issue, to freeze a record content at a special time. So, the easiest way is to save record into raw datatype. Is there another way, to save a hole data record in progress database, without using raw and save record content to physical harddisc?

Thank you,
Jochen

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
JSON is far more efficient than XML so long as you have a suitable Progress version.