text indexing system

tfriedel

I am moving a SQL application (currently in Mysql) to Progress SQL. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how I would create a text indexing system like FULLTEXT in mysql, or systems that come built in with other SQL implemtations. A text indexing system allows quickly searching for individual words in specified TEXT, BLOB or in Progress' case apparently VARCHAR(n) fields.

thank you,
tom friedel
954-523-4182

Hi,

There is a built-in word indexing feature in Progress so you do not need to use external searching application. Fields having word index you can use CONTAINS operator as written below:
select * from table1 where field1 contains "he"
or
select * from table1 where field1 contains "he|she"
or
select * from table1 where field1 contains "he&she"

The first gives you the records having word "he" in field1.
The second gives you the records having "he" OR "she" in field1.
The thord gives you records having "he" AND "she" in field1.
You can also create more comlex queries.

Regards,
Gabor

tfriedel

Thank you for the reply

Can I create such a "word index" with SQL-92 ? I did not see any such syntax in the SQL-92 manual. When I did a search with "CONTAINS" on a regular table and field, I get

[JDBC Progress Driver]:Index on long fields requires that it can push down only CONTAINS (7687)

which is cryptic to me.

tom

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by tfriedel
Can I create such a "word index" with SQL-92 ?

I don't think so, you may have to add the word index through that Progress data dictionary. You won't be able to use the CONTAINS syntax unless there is a word index available on that field.