Test Drive Resurrection

livetocode

Back in 1990 I bought "Test Drive" version 6 that ran on a PC. This purchase was self motivated.

"Test Drive" at that time cost $125 and you could get a full single user development system, with complete documentation set, whose only restriction was the database could only be started 10 times before you had to do a full dump and load in order to continue.

This evaluation tool allowed individuals or companies who were interested learn what Progress is all about.

Potential Progress ISV's had an inexpensive means to experiment and develop prototypes.

For me, it was the opportunity to learn Progress (without spending a fortune).

What IT person or company is going spend a small fortune buying Progress if they don't know it already.

Buying into Progress now is like marrying a stranger because the rule now is you are not allowed to date, only marry.

Look at Oracle - you can get a complete development system for less than 100 dollars - on ebay I bought a used one for $10.

What I am saying is - If PSC expects to continue to grow and have the independent individual developer support infrastructure then "Test Drive" has to make a major comeback and be advertised.