Substring & Length

Damanindahaus

Hey bros,

I have a little syntax problem. I am already searching for about 2 hours what string and count functions Progress has. But I'vent found enough. So I thought, maybe you can help me.

What is the real Progress Syntax of this:
SELECT SUBSTRING('12;3', 1, (SELECT CHARINDEX(';', '12;3')-1)) AS Column1,
SUBSTRING('12;3', (SELECT CHARINDEX(';', '12;3')+1), (SELECT LEN('12;3'))) AS Column2
FROM tablename

Explanation:
The Select should give me 2 columns. In the first column I wanna have '12' of the text '12;3'. In the second, I wanna have '3'. Is this possible?:confused:

best regards,
Daman

Damanindahaus

hi bros,
does anyone know a function for counting a length of a word? or finding out a character in a word?
plz help me. i m already disapointed searching the whole day long :(
regards

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) 9.1 is ancient, obsolete and unsupported.

2) Progress is not SQL. The longer you try to use SQL with Progress the more frustrated you will become.

Code:
for each tablename no-lock:
  display entry( 1, field1, ";" ) entry( 2, field2, ";" ).
end.

Damanindahaus

yes unfortunatelly you re right. honestly, i would really wanna avoid working with this environment.
but i dont have no choice. it is still running on ones customers plattform. so i have to go through this.

thx for help bros

superfly18

I know this thread is old and dead, but just to document this commonly run in-to issue with OpenEdge for all of the web searching community to see, the issue is that Progress has 'array columns' so when, from SQL you run something like:

SELECT quarterlySales from PUB.MySales;

and you get something like:
102332.67;330002.77;443434.55;333376.50

you can select an array column individualy with the syntax below:
SELECT quarterlySales[1] from PUB.MySales;

which will yield: