[Stackoverflow] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] How to specify a list of items/item pairs for a selection list, containing commas, at design time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dominique

I am creating a selection-list, which needs to contain a list of names of persons. Currently, it looks as follows:

Code:
DEFINE VARIABLE sl-competitors AS CHARACTER FORMAT "X(60)":U
 LABEL "Competitors"
 VIEW-AS SELECTION-LIST MULTIPLE SCROLLBAR-VERTICAL
 LIST-ITEM-PAIRS "Alley Anna", "1", "Bower Bob", "2", "Chaplin Charlie", "3", "Drew Derek", "4", "Evon Eve", "5"

This is not what I want: I want the surname and the first name to be separated by a comma. Obviously this means that the delimiter, to be used in the selection-list, should be something else, and I agree with using a pipe character (ASCII code 124).

However, it seems not to be possible to add a DELIMITER attribute at design time:

Code:
LABEL "Competitors"
DELIMITER "|" or DELIMITER 124 <== this is not accepted.
LIST-ITEM-PAIRS "Alley Anna", "1", "Bower Bob", "2", "Chaplin Charlie", "3", "Drew Derek", "4", "Evon Eve", "5"

Also, adding commas in the names seems to give problems:

Code:
LABEL "Competitors"
LIST-ITEM-PAIRS "Alley, Anna", "1", "Bower, Bob", "2", "Chaplin, Charlie", "3", "Drew, Derek", "4", "Evon, Eve", "5"

This is most probably caused by the fact that by default a comma is used.

How can I define the delimiter and the list of names, containing commas, at design time?

The usage of tools (appBuilder, PDSOE) is not helpful, as they don't allow to modify the delimiter.

Thanks in advance

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.